3. Are Tattoos Art?
- Robert Arp PH. D.
Published Online: 20 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Tattoos - Philosophy for Everyone: I Ink, Therefore I Am
How to Cite
Michaud, N. (2012) Are Tattoos Art?, in Tattoos - Philosophy for Everyone: I Ink, Therefore I Am (ed R. Arp), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781118252789.ch3
- Published Online: 20 MAR 2012
- Published Print: 6 APR 2012
Book Series Editors:
- Fritz Allhoff
Series Editor Information
Western Michigan University, USA
Print ISBN: 9780470672068
Online ISBN: 9781118252789
- tattoos and art;
- tattoos, as an art;
- art, participation in the art world;
- art world theorists;
- tattoo art museum, San Francisco;
- formalism, art as a result of working together;
- expressionism, tattoos as works of art;
- performance art;
- images alone, of great artistic merit
This chapter contains sections titled:
What is Art?
Art World Theory: Art is Participation in the Art World
Formalism: Art is the Result of Formal Properties Working Together
Expressionism: Art Elicits an Emotional Response from the Viewer
What Do These Theories Accomplish for Tattoos?
Tattoos as Performance Art
The Human Canvas
Tattoos, Mortality, and Deep Meaning