5. Understanding and Managing Violence in Mental Health Services
- Richard Whittington3 and
- Caroline Logan4
Published Online: 16 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Self-Harm and Violence: Towards Best Practice in Managing Risk in Mental Health Services
How to Cite
Whittington, R., McGuire, J., Steinert, T. and Quinn, B. (2011) Understanding and Managing Violence in Mental Health Services, in Self-Harm and Violence: Towards Best Practice in Managing Risk in Mental Health Services (eds R. Whittington and C. Logan), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781119991175.ch5
University of Liverpool, UK
University of Manchester, UK
- Published Online: 16 MAR 2011
- Published Print: 25 MAR 2011
Print ISBN: 9780470746073
Online ISBN: 9781119991175
- understanding and managing violence - in mental health services;
- successful risk management in mental health - knowledge and expertise from different sources;
- concept of aggression, incorporation - physical and psychological assault;
- acts of violence, by individuals - focus on individual factors as the origin of them;
- psychological research, on aggression and violence - principal sources;
- criminological and psychological research - variables, ‘risk factors’ for violence;
- violence and mental disorder relationship;
- contemporary risk management - a bidirectional approach, vulnerable to violence from other people;
- Best Practice document (Department of Health, 2009) - six tools, violent, antisocial, and offending behaviour, meeting basic criterion of acceptability;
- interventions, delivered effectively - part of a broader therapeutic relationship
This chapter contains sections titled:
The Concept of Aggression
Violent Acts: Individual or Culture?
How Does Childhood Aggression Relate to Adult Aggression?
What Psychological Factors Make Violence More or Less Likely to Happen?
What is the Relationship between Violence and Mental Disorder?
Are People with Mental Health Problems More Likely to be Aggressive than the Rest of the Population?
What are the Most Effective Ways of Judging the Risk of Violence?
What Role does Pharmacotherapy Play in Treating Violent Behaviour?
How Effective are Psychological Interventions for Violent Behaviour?
How Important are Engagement and Collaboration in the Risk Management Process?