Chapter 16. Evidence-Based Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
- Mark A. Crowther MD, MSc, FRCPC Professor Division Director3,4,
- Jeff Ginsberg MD, FRCPC Professor5,
- Holger J. Schünemann MD, PhD, MSc, FACP, FCCP Professor6,7,
- Ralph M. Meyer MD, FRCPC Director Professor8,9 and
- Richard Lottenberg MD, FACP Professor10
Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
How to Cite
Boulmay, B. and Kitchens, C. S. (2009) Evidence-Based Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, in Evidence-Based Hematology (eds M. A. Crowther, J. Ginsberg, H. J. Schünemann, R. M. Meyer and R. Lottenberg), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444300857.ch16
Division of Hematology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
St. Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
CLARITY Research Group, Department of Epidemiology, Italian National Cancer Institute Regina Elena, Rome, Italy
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
National Cancer Institute of Canada, Clinical Trials Group, Edith Eisenhauer Chair in Clinical Cancer Research, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Departments of Oncology and Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
- Published Print: 27 JUN 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405157476
Online ISBN: 9781444300857
- thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP);
- diagnostic criteria for TTP;
- therapeutic plasma exchange and plasma infusion in TTP;
- cryoprecipitate-poor plasma for TTP treatment;
- antiplatelet agent role in treatment of TTP;
- glucocorticosteroid role in TTP treatment;
- immunosuppressive strategies in TTP;
- role of rituximab in TTP
This chapter contains sections titled:
What are the Diagnostic Criteria for TTP?
Is therapeutic plasma exchange superior to plasma infusion for the treatment of TTP?
Is cryoprecipitate-poor plasma preferred over FFP for treatment of TTP?
Do antiplatelet agents have a role in the treatment of TTP?
Do glucocorticosteroids have a role in the treatment of TTP?
In early remission should TPE be tapered or stopped?
Are there differing categories of TTP and does the differentiation guide therapy?
What is the role of rituximab in the treatment of TTP?