Chapter 17. Diagnosis and Management of Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
- Mark A. Crowther MD, MSc, FRCPC Professor Division Director1,2,
- Jeff Ginsberg MD, FRCPC Professor3,
- Holger J. Schünemann MD, PhD, MSc, FACP, FCCP Professor4,5,
- Ralph M. Meyer MD, FRCPC Director Professor6,7 and
- Richard Lottenberg MD, FACP Professor8
Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
How to Cite
Anderson, J. A. M. (2009) Diagnosis and Management of Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation, in Evidence-Based Hematology (eds M. A. Crowther, J. Ginsberg, H. J. Schünemann, R. M. Meyer and R. Lottenberg), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444300857.ch17
Division of Hematology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
St. Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
CLARITY Research Group, Department of Epidemiology, Italian National Cancer Institute Regina Elena, Rome, Italy
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
National Cancer Institute of Canada, Clinical Trials Group, Edith Eisenhauer Chair in Clinical Cancer Research, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Departments of Oncology and Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
- Published Print: 27 JUN 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405157476
Online ISBN: 9781444300857
- disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) - clinicopathologic syndrome;
- clinical conditions associated with overt DIC;
- scoring systems in use and their limitations;
- tests for fibrin(ogen) degradation products (FDPs);
- international working definition and scoring system;
- specialized assays in DIC diagnosis;
- primary management principles in DIC;
- anticoagulants and fibrinolytic inhibitors in DIC;
- recombinant activated protein C and protein C replacement therapies;
- use of AT concentrates in patients with DIC
This chapter contains sections titled:
How is the diagnosis of DIC made?
What is the role of specialized assays in the diagnosis of DIC?
What scoring systems are in use, and what are their limitations?
Why is an international working definition and scoring system important?
What are the primary management principles in the treatment of a patient with DIC?
Is there evidence to support the use of anticoagulants and the use of fibrinolytic inhibitors in the management of DIC?
Is there a role for the supplementation of natural anticoagulant pathways?