Chapter 30. Sickle Cell Disease
- Mark A. Crowther MD, MSc, FRCPC Professor Division Director2,3,
- Jeff Ginsberg MD, FRCPC Professor4,
- Holger J. Schünemann MD, PhD, MSc, FACP, FCCP Professor5,6,
- Ralph M. Meyer MD, FRCPC Director Professor7,8 and
- Richard Lottenberg MD, FACP Professor9
Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
How to Cite
Lottenberg, R. and Davies, S. C. (2008) Sickle Cell Disease, in Evidence-Based Hematology (eds M. A. Crowther, J. Ginsberg, H. J. Schünemann, R. M. Meyer and R. Lottenberg), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444300857.ch30
Division of Hematology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
St. Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
CLARITY Research Group, Department of Epidemiology, Italian National Cancer Institute Regina Elena, Rome, Italy
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
National Cancer Institute of Canada, Clinical Trials Group, Edith Eisenhauer Chair in Clinical Cancer Research, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Departments of Oncology and Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
- Published Print: 27 JUN 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405157476
Online ISBN: 9781444300857
- Sickle cell disease (SCD);
- MEDLINE, the Cochrane Collaboration Cystic Fibrosis and Genetic Disorders Group;
- Stroke Prevention Trial in Sickle Cell Anemia (STOP);
- major randomized clinical trials in sickle cell disease;
- preoperative red blood cell transfusion in SCD;
- hydroxyurea therapy indications in SCD;
- hydroxyurea therapy for adult patients with Hb SS and Hb S/β0 thalassemia;
- SCD and optimal screening strategy for pulmonary hypertension
This chapter contains sections titled:
Literature-search strategy and grading the evidence
In patients with SCD, what is the appropriate primary stroke prevention strategy?
For patients with SCD who have experienced stroke in childhood, what is the duration of maintaining chronic blood transfusion?
What are the indications for preoperative red blood cell transfusion in SCD?
What are the indications for hydroxyurea therapy in SCD?
In patients with SCD what is the optimal screening strategy for pulmonary hypertension?