Chapter 31. Evidence-Based Treatment of Thalassemia Major
- Mark A. Crowther MD, MSc, FRCPC Professor Division Director3,4,
- Jeff Ginsberg MD, FRCPC Professor5,
- Holger J. Schünemann MD, PhD, MSc, FACP, FCCP Professor6,7,
- Ralph M. Meyer MD, FRCPC Director Professor8,9 and
- Richard Lottenberg MD, FACP Professor10
Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
How to Cite
Odame, I. and Rund, D. (2009) Evidence-Based Treatment of Thalassemia Major, in Evidence-Based Hematology (eds M. A. Crowther, J. Ginsberg, H. J. Schünemann, R. M. Meyer and R. Lottenberg), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444300857.ch31
Division of Hematology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
St. Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
CLARITY Research Group, Department of Epidemiology, Italian National Cancer Institute Regina Elena, Rome, Italy
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
National Cancer Institute of Canada, Clinical Trials Group, Edith Eisenhauer Chair in Clinical Cancer Research, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Departments of Oncology and Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- Published Online: 4 FEB 2009
- Published Print: 27 JUN 2008
Print ISBN: 9781405157476
Online ISBN: 9781444300857
- thalassemia major;
- evidence-based findings on treatment of transfusion-dependent β-thalassemia major;
- grading of evidence and recommendations;
- clinical trials on desferrioxamine (DFO);
- desferrioxamine and deferiprone combinations;
- risks of splenectomy;
- splenectomy in transfused patients?;
- transplants from HLA-identical related donors;
- transplants from HLA-unrelated donors;
- cord blood transplantation
This chapter contains sections titled:
Grading of evidence and recommendations
In patients on chronic transfusion therapy, what is the target hemoglobin that should be maintained?
What is optimal iron chelation therapy for patients on chronic transfusion?
What are the indications for splenectomy in transfused patients?
What is the role of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the management of patients with transfusion-dependent β-thalassemia major?
Transplants from HLA-identical related donors
Transplants from HLA-unrelated donors
What role do fetal hemoglobin-inducing therapies have in the management of β-thalassemia major?