Chapter 6. Who Profits from My Health?
Published Online: 24 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Roxanne Parrott
Talking about Health: Why Communication Matters
How to Cite
Parrott, R. (2009) Who Profits from My Health?, in Talking about Health: Why Communication Matters, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444310832.ch6
- Published Online: 24 APR 2009
- Published Print: 17 APR 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405177573
Online ISBN: 9781444310832
- Who Profits from My Health?- pharma-, cosme-, and nutri-ceuticals;
- using online sources, seeking in-depth news about health, and links to other resources;
- entertainment industry;
- exploring products and services to promote health and the “ceuticals” doing so with a “profit-colored” lens;
- Who benefits from our health illiteracy? - our inability to understand and use basic health information;
- conspiracy between health care, drug companies, and journalists - to make a profit and stay in business by exploiting our health?
This chapter contains sections titled:
Pharma-, Cosme-, and Nutri-ceuticals
The News, It Is an Industry
The Entertainment Industry
Band-Aids, Crutches and More – Oh My!
Who Benefits from Our Health Illiteracy?
Summing It Up