Chapter 17. Leslie O'Malley: A 66-Year-Old Irish American Man with Breast Cancer
- Lisa Hark PhD, RD Consultant2 and
- Horace DeLisser MD Associate Professor Assistant Dean3
Published Online: 27 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Achieving Cultural Competency: A Case-Based Approach to Training Health Professionals
How to Cite
Russell, J. E. (2009) Leslie O'Malley: A 66-Year-Old Irish American Man with Breast Cancer, in Achieving Cultural Competency: A Case-Based Approach to Training Health Professionals (eds L. Hark and H. DeLisser), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444311686.ch17
Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cultural Competency and Spirituality, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Published Online: 27 APR 2009
- Published Print: 10 APR 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405180726
Online ISBN: 9781444311686
- Irish American man with breast cancer;
- nipple discharge, axillary masses, weight loss, fever, or chills;
- demonstrating bilateral gynecomastia and presence of right breast mass;
- combination of gynecomastia and elevated bilirubin;
- male with breast cancer - issues of gender-identity and perceived loss of masculinity
This chapter contains sections titled:
Why might Dr. Beck have doubted Mr. O'Malley's self-reported alcohol consumption?
Why might Mr. O'Malley have refused the recommended diagnostic procedure?
What role should the physician play in mediating this end-of-life dispute? How should issues of religion and spirituality be included in the decision-making process?