Chapter 7. Isabel Delgado: A 47-Year-Old Dominican Woman with Hypertension
- Lisa Hark PhD, RD Consultant3 and
- Horace DeLisser MD Associate Professor Assistant Dean4
Published Online: 27 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Achieving Cultural Competency: A Case-Based Approach to Training Health Professionals
How to Cite
Salas-Lopez, D. and Gertner, E. (2009) Isabel Delgado: A 47-Year-Old Dominican Woman with Hypertension, in Achieving Cultural Competency: A Case-Based Approach to Training Health Professionals (eds L. Hark and H. DeLisser), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444311686.ch7
Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cultural Competency and Spirituality, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Published Online: 27 APR 2009
- Published Print: 10 APR 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405180726
Online ISBN: 9781444311686
- Dominican woman with hypertension;
- previous cultural and life experiences;
- framework for providing cross-cultural communication;
- chronic hypertension;
- high blood pressure - to be treated every day, even in absence of symptoms;
- anti-hypertensive medications, natural supplements and vitamins
This chapter contains sections titled:
Is the resident's response likely to motivate Mrs. Delgado to take her medication on a regular basis?
What other influences might affect Mrs. Delgado's decision to take her medication?
What other social factors should be considered for Mrs. Delgado that might impact her adherence?
In what way could the patient's cultural background be playing a role in her poor adherence?
In what way does a system of seeing a different resident at each visit adversely affecting Mrs. Delgado's health?
Was it helpful for the medical resident to call the pharmacy to speak to Carlos?