Chapter 8. George Dennis: A 35-Year-Old African American Man with AIDS
- Lisa Hark PhD, RD Consultant2 and
- Horace DeLisser MD Associate Professor Assistant Dean3
Published Online: 27 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Achieving Cultural Competency: A Case-Based Approach to Training Health Professionals
How to Cite
Collman, R. G. (2009) George Dennis: A 35-Year-Old African American Man with AIDS, in Achieving Cultural Competency: A Case-Based Approach to Training Health Professionals (eds L. Hark and H. DeLisser), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444311686.ch8
Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cultural Competency and Spirituality, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Published Online: 27 APR 2009
- Published Print: 10 APR 2009
Print ISBN: 9781405180726
Online ISBN: 9781444311686
- African American man with AIDS;
- the interface of race and sexual orientation in health care;
- to discuss - potentially sensitive and private issues with patients;
- sexual orientation and sexual activity;
- screening and antiretroviral treatment of pregnant women
This chapter contains sections titled:
Why might Mr. Dennis have been less than forthcoming about his sexual activity and sexual orientation during the initial visit?
When exploring risk factors for HIV with patients, what approaches might be used in discussing these potentially sensitive and private issues?
How might you respond to Mr. Dennis when he asks you to withhold information from family members?
How might Dr. Carey respect the patient's autonomy while responding meaningfully to the family?