Chapter 1. Biodiversity
- William J. Sutherland Professor of Biology
Published Online: 14 OCT 2009
Copyright © 1998 Blackwell Science Ltd
Conservation Science and Action
How to Cite
Gaston, K. J. (1998) Biodiversity, in Conservation Science and Action (ed W. J. Sutherland), Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444313499.ch1
School of Biological Sciences, University of East, Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
- Published Online: 14 OCT 2009
- Published Print: 19 FEB 1998
Print ISBN: 9780865427624
Online ISBN: 9781444313499
- conservation science and action and its application;
- ‘biological diversity’ - multiplicity and range of meanings;
- definitions of ‘biological diversity’ and ‘biodiversity’;
- biodiversity as a field of study;
- biodiversity - meaning different things to different people;
- quantifying biodiversity;
- elements of biodiversity - nested components of organizational hierarchies;
- levels of biodiversity and temporal variation;
- conserving biodiversity - marketable commodities and non-market goods and services;
- variety of life and novel scientific questions
This chapter contains sections titled:
What is biodiversity?
A pragmatic approach
How is biodiversity quantified?
How much biodiversity is there?
Where is biodiversity?
Why does biodiversity matter?