3. Surveying the Field
Published Online: 1 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
The Challenge of Climate Change: Which Way Now?
How to Cite
Perlmutter, D. D. and Rothstein, R. L. (2010) Surveying the Field, in The Challenge of Climate Change: Which Way Now?, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444328523.ch3
- Published Online: 1 DEC 2010
- Published Print: 19 NOV 2010
Print ISBN: 9780470654989
Online ISBN: 9781444328523
- surveying the field;
- complex issues and opportunities - of urgency, in the 21st century;
- local smog or planet, global changes - in the end, issues on how to use energy;
- energy, measuring ability to do work - creating changes in our physical world;
- initial technological steps - larger process of setting priorities;
- ecological damage, from uncontrolled strip mining - ignored earlier, as a local effect;
- crude production profiles - three super-giant oilfields;
- measuring energy and US Department of Energy (DOE);
- US, energy consumption – divided equally, transportation, industry and domestic heating;
- energy forms - transformation in form, all transformations not being equally efficient
This chapter contains sections titled:
A History of Change
Supply: Where Do We Get It?
Demand: How Do We Use It?
Will We Run Out of Oil? Or Gas?
Forms of Energy
Notes and References