A preliminary examination of the intergenerational continuity of maternal psychopathic features
Article first published online: 12 DEC 2006
© 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 14–25, January/February 2007
How to Cite
Loney, B. R., Huntenburg, A., Counts-Allan, C. and Schmeelk, K. M. (2007), A preliminary examination of the intergenerational continuity of maternal psychopathic features. Aggr. Behav., 33: 14–25. doi: 10.1002/ab.20163
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 12 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Received: 25 NOV 2005
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. “The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, DSM-IV-TR: Text Revision,” Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- 1986. The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. J Pers Soc Psychol 51:1173–1182. , .
- 2000. The importance of callous–unemotional traits for extending the concept of psychopathy to children. J Abnorm Psychol 109:335–340. , , , , , .
- 1999. Responsiveness to distress cues in the child with psychopathic tendencies. Pers Individ Differ 27:135–145. .
- 1976. “The Mask of Sanity,” 5th edition, St. Louis, MO: Mosby. .
- 2003. Angry and aggressive behavior across three generations: A prospective, longitudinal study of parents and children. J Abnorm Child Psychol 31:143–160. , , , .
- 2001. Refining the construct of psychopathy: Towards a hierarchical model. Psychol Assessment 13:171–188. , .
- 1994. “SCL-90-R: Administration, Scoring, and Procedures Manual,” Minneapolis: National Computer Systems, Inc. .
- 2003. Theoretical and methodological considerations in cross-generational research on parenting and child aggressive behavior. J Abnorm Child Psychol 31:185–192. , , .
- 1998. “ADHD Rating scale-IV: Checklists, Norms, and Clinical Interpretation,” New York: Guilford Press. , , , .
- 1986. “Understanding and Controlling Crime: Toward a New Research Strategy,” New York: Springer-Verlag. , , .
- 1991. The Alabama Parenting Questionnaire. Unpublished instrument, University of Alabama. .
- 1998. “Conduct Disorders and Severe Antisocial Behavior,” New York: Plenum Press. .
- 2001. “The Antisocial Processing Screening Device,” Toronto: Multi-Health Systems. , .
- 2002. Understanding the association between parent and child antisocial behavior. In: McMahonRJ, PetersRD (eds): “The Effects of Parental Dysfunction on Children,” New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, pp 105–126. , .
- 1989. Conduct problems in boys: Relations to maternal personality, marital satisfaction, and socioeconomic status. J Clin Child Psychol 18:114–120. , , , .
- 1994. Psychopathy and conduct problems in children. J Abnorm Psychol 103:700–707. , , , .
- 2000. Psychopathic traits and conduct problems in community and clinic-referred samples of children: Further development of the psychopathy screening device. Psychol Assessment 12:382–393. , , .
- 2003a. Callous–unemotional traits and conduct problems in the prediction of conduct problem severity, aggression, and self-report of delinquency. J Abnorm Child Psychol 31:457–470. , , , , .
- 2003b. Callous–unemotional traits and developmental pathways to severe conduct problems. Dev Psychol 39:246–260. , , , , , .
- 2003c. The 4 year stability of psychopathic traits in non-referred youth. Behav Sci Law 21:713–736. , , , .
- 1998. “Child Symptom Inventory-4: Teacher Checklist,” Stony Brook, NY: Checkmate Plus. , .
- 1990. “Kaufman Brief Intelligence Test manual,” Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service. , .
- 1995. “Conduct Disorders in Childhood and Adolescence,” 2nd edition, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. .
- Psychopathy, aggression, and the processing of emotional stimuli in non-referred girls and boys. Behav Sci Law 24:21–37. , , , . 2006.
- 1997. Multiple pathways to conscience for children with different temperaments toddlerhood to age 5. Dev Psychol 33:228–240. .
- 1995. Assessing psychopathic attributes in a noninstitutionalized population. J Pers Soc Psychol 68:151–158. , , .
- 1997. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: A category or a continuum? Genetic analysis of a large-scale twin study. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry 36:737–744. , , , , .
- 2002. “Statistical Analysis with Missing Data,” 2nd edition, New York: John Wiley & Sons. , .
- 2003. The classification and assessment of conduct disorders. In: EssauCA (ed): “Conduct and Oppositional Defiant Disorders: Epidemiology, Risk Factors, and Treatment,” New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum, pp 3–31. , .
- 2003. Callous–unemotional traits, impulsivity, and emotional processing in antisocial adolescents. J Clin Child Adoles 32:66–80. , , , , .
- 1994. A Short-term longitudinal study of impulsivity and antisocial behavior. J Pers Soc Psychol 66:542–548. , , , .
- 1995. “The Antisocial Personalities,” Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. .
- 1998. Early identification of the fledgling psychopath: Locating the psychopathic child in the current nomenclature. J Abnorm Psychol 107:566–575. .
- 1999. Self-reported psychopathy: A validation study. J Pers Assess 73:110–132. , , .
- 1993. Adolscence-limited and life-course-persistent antisocial behavior: A developmental taxonomy. Psychol Rev 100:674–701. .
- 1993. Diverse pathways to deficient self-regulation: Implications for disinhibitory psychopathology in children. Clin Psychol Rev 13:699–720. , .
- 2003. Callous/unemotional traits moderate the relation between ineffective parenting and child externalizing problems: A partial replication and extension. J Clin Child Adoles 32:577–585. , , .
- 1994. Emotion and psychopathy: Startling new insights. Psychophysiology 31:319–330. .
- 1984. Family interaction: A process model of deviancy training. Aggr Behav 10:253–267. , , .
- 1992. Combining discrepant diagnostic information from multiple sources: Are complex algorithms better than simple ones? J Abnorm Child Psychol 20:51–63. , , .
- 2000. “Detention in Delinquency Cases, 1988–1997,” Washington, DC: Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. .
- 1992. “Behavior Assessment System for Children (BASC),” Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Services. , .
- 1983. How people make their own environments: A theory of genotype environment effects. Child Dev 54:424–435. , .
- 1998. Introduction to the special section: Studying intergenerational continuity and the transfer of risk. Dev Psychol 34:1159–1161. , .
- 1999. Etiology of the impulsivity/aggression relationship: Genes or environment? Psychiat Res 86:41–57. , , .
- 2003. Advancing our understanding of intergenerational continuity in antisocial behavior. J Abnorm Child Psychol 31:193–199. .
- 2003. Genetic and environmental influences on psychopathy trait dimensions in a community sample of male twins. J Abnorm Child Psychol 31:633–645. , , , , .
- 2003. Linked lives: The intergenerational transmission of antisocial behavior. J Abnorm Child Psychol 31:171–184. , , , , .
- 2005. Evidence for substantial genetic risk for psychopathy in 7-year-olds. J Child Psychol Psychol 46:592–597. , , , .
- 1997. Ineffective parenting and childhood conduct problems: The moderating role of callous–unemotional traits. J Consult Clin Psychol 65:301–308. , , , .