Effects of realism on extended violent and nonviolent video game play on aggressive thoughts, feelings, and physiological arousal
Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2009
© 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 35, Issue 3, pages 213–224, May/June 2009
How to Cite
Barlett, C. P. and Rodeheffer, C. (2009), Effects of realism on extended violent and nonviolent video game play on aggressive thoughts, feelings, and physiological arousal. Aggr. Behav., 35: 213–224. doi: 10.1002/ab.20279
- Issue online: 8 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 2008
- 2004. An update on the effects of playing violent video games. J Adolesc 27:113–122.
- 2001. Effects of violent video games on aggressive behavior, aggressive cognition, aggressive affect, physiological arousal, and prosocial behavior: A meta-analytic review of the scientific literature. Psychol Sci 12:353–359.Direct Link:,
- 2000. Video games and aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behavior in the laboratory and in life. J Pers Soc Psychol 78:772–790. ,
- 1986. Affect of the game player: Short-term effects of highly and mildly aggressive video games. Pers Soc Psychol Bull 12:390–402. ,
- 2003. Human aggression: A social-cognitive view. In: HoggMA, CooperJ (eds). Handbook of Social Psychology. London: Sage Publications, pp 296–323. , .
- 1995. Hot temperatures, hostile affect, hostile cognition, and arousal: Tests of a general model of affective aggression. Pers Soc Psychol Bull 21:434–448. , ,
- 1998. Does the gun pull the trigger? Automatic priming effects of weapon pictures and weapon names. Psychol Sci 9:308–314.Direct Link:, , .
- 2003a. The influence of media violence on youth. Psychol Sci Public Interest 4:81–110.Direct Link:, , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Exposure to violent media: The effects of songs with violent lyrics on aggressive thoughts and feelings. J Pers Soc Psychol 84:960–971. , ,
- 2004. Violent video games: Specific effects of violent content on aggressive thoughts and behavior. Adv Exp Soc Psychol 36:199–249. , , , , ,
- 2007. The longer you play, the more hostile you feel: Examination of first person shooter video games and aggression during video game play. Aggressive Behav 33:486–497. , ,
- 2001. Video games and real life aggression: Review of the literature. J Adolesc Health 29:244–257. , .
- 2002. Violent video games and hostile expectations: A test of the General Aggression Model. Pers Soc Psychol Bull 28:1679–1686. ,
- 1992. The Aggression Questionnaire. J Pers Soc Psychol 63:452–459. ,
- 2005. The effects of reward and punishment in violent video games on aggressive affect, cognition, and behavior. Psychol Sci 16:882–889.Direct Link:,
- 1998. Video game violence: A review of the empirical literature. Aggression Violent Behav: Rev J 3:407–428. ,
- 2006. Beyond the shooter game: Examining presence and hostile outcomes among male game players. Commun Res 33:448–466. ,
- 1997. Is Mr. Pac Man eating our children? A review of the effect of video games on children. Can J Psychiatry 42:409–414.
- 1990. Human Aggression. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole. .
- 1999. Violent video games and aggression: A review of the literature. Aggression Violent Behav 4:203–212.
- HuesmannLR, EronLD (eds). 1986. Television and the Aggressive Child: A Cross–National Comparison. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- 2003. Longitudinal relations between childhood exposure to media violence and adult aggression and violence: 1977–1992. Dev Psychol 39:201–221. , , ,
- 2007. The effects of technological advancement and violent content in video games on player's feelings of presence, involvement, physiological arousal, and aggression. J Commun 57:532–555. ,
- 2006. Cartoon violence and aggression in youth. Aggression Violent Behav 11:547–557.
- 1996. Can computers be teammates? Int J Hum Comput Stud 45:669–678. , , .
- 2008. Immersive virtual video game play and presence: Influences on aggressive feelings and behavior. Presence 17:57–72. ,
- 2004. Death with a story: How story impacts emotional, motivational, and physiological responses to first-person shooter video games. Hum Commun Res 30:361–375. , , ,
- 2006. Realism, imagination, and narrative video games. In: VordererP, BryantJ (eds). Playing Video Games: Motives, Responses, and Consequences. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp 275–290. , , .
- 2006. Does playing violent video games induce aggression? Empirical evidence of a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Media Psychol 9:39–60. , ,