Dr. Wu and Dr. Lyerly contributed equally to the development of the manuscript.
Impact of telemedicine on access to acute stroke care in the state of Texas
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc on behalf of American Neurological Association.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 27–33, January 2014
How to Cite
Wu, T.-C., Lyerly, M. J., Albright, K. C., Ward, E., Hassler, A., Messier, J., Wolff, C., Brannas, C. C., Savitz, S. I. and Carr, B. G. (2014), Impact of telemedicine on access to acute stroke care in the state of Texas. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, 1: 27–33. doi: 10.1002/acn3.20
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 SEP 2013
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). Grant Numbers: T32 HS013852-10, RO1 HS018362 03
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD). Grant Number: P60 MD000502-08S1
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- 9Use of telemedicine and helicopter transport to improve stroke care in remote locations. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2011;13:215–224., , .
- 12Using telemedicine to facilitate thrombolytic therapy for patients with acute stroke. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2006;32:199–205., , , et al.
- 23Access to expert stroke care with telemedicine: REACH MUSC. Front Neurol 2012;3:44., , , .
- 24Access: acute cerebrovascular care in emergency stroke systems. Arch Neurol 2010;67:1210–1218., , , et al.
- 25U.S. Census Bureau. 2000 Census of Population and Housing, Population and Housing Unit Counts PHC-3. 2012. Available at http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0029.pdf (accessed 17 May 2011).
- 26Texas in Focus. 2008. Available at http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/tif/03_Demographics.pdf (accessed 2 October 2013)..
- 28United States Census Bureau. Geographic Terms and Concepts - Block Groups. 2012. Available at http://www.census.gov/geo/reference/gtc/gtc_bg.html (accessed 13 September 2013).
- 29American Hospital Association. American Hospital Association Data and Directories. 2012. Available at http://www.aha.org/research/rc/stat-studies/data-and-directories.shtml (accessed 17 May 2011).
- 30Texas Department of State Health Services. Texas Stroke Facilities. 2013. Available at http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/etrastroke.shtm (accessed 17 May 2011).
- 31The Joint Commission. The Joint Commission: Advanced Certification for Primary Stroke Centers. 2013. Available at http://www.jointcommission.org/certification/primary_stroke_centers.aspx (accessed 2 October 2013).
- 32Det Norske Veritas. DNV Stroke Center Certifications. 2013. Available at http://dnvaccreditation.com/pr/dnv/primary-stroke-center-certification.aspx (accessed 17 May 2011).
- 34Texas Department of State Health Services. Requirements for Stroke Facility Designation. 2009. Available at http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=25&pt=1&ch=157&rl=133 (accessed 30 August 2009).
- 38Facilities location: models and methods. New York, NY: North-Holland Publishers, 1988., , .
- 39National Conference of State Legislatures. Certificate of Need: State Health Laws and Programs. 2012. Available at http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/con-certificate-of-need-state-laws.aspx (accessed 14 September 2013).
- 40National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Stroke Belt Initiative: Project Accomplishments and Lessons Learned. 2005. Available at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/prof/heart/other/sb_spec.pdf (accessed 17 May 2011).