The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Article first published online: 23 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 62, Issue 7, pages 907–916, July 2010
How to Cite
Theis, K. A., Murphy, L., Hootman, J. M., Helmick, C. G. and Sacks, J. J. (2010), Arthritis restricts volunteer participation: Prevalence and correlates of volunteer status among adults with arthritis. Arthritis Care Res, 62: 907–916. doi: 10.1002/acr.20141
This research was performed under an appointment to the Research Participation Program at the CDC, administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education under contract DE-AC05-06OR23100 between the US Department of Energy and Oak Ridge Associated Universities.
- Issue published online: 29 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 23 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 30 DEC 2008
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education. Grant Number: DE-AC05-06OR23100
- 1Independent Sector. Giving and volunteering in the United States, 2001. 2001. URL: http://www.independentsector.org/programs/research/gv01main.html.
- 3Differential benefits of volunteering across the life course. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2000; 55B: S308–18..
- 42004. URL: http://ssrn.com/abstract=505042., . Is volunteering rewarding in itself?
- 7Effects of volunteering on the well-being of older adults. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2003; 58B: S137–45., , , .
- 8Bureau of Labor Statistics. Volunteering in the United States, 2006. 2007. URL: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/archives/volun_01102007.pdf.
- 9AARP. Multicultural Study 2003. Time and money: an in-depth look at 45+ volunteers and donors. 2003. URL: http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/general/multic_2003.pdf.
- 10Older adults engaged as volunteers. The Retirement Project: perspectives on productive aging, no. 5. Washington, DC: Urban Institute; 2006., .
- 11Older adults' engagement should be recognized and encouraged. The Retirement Project: perspectives on productive aging, no. 1. Washington, DC: Urban Institute; 2005., .
- 12Volunteering among current cohorts of older adults and baby boomers. Generations 2007; 30: 31–6..
- 13Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of doctor-diagnosed arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation: United States, 2003–2005. MMWR 2006; 55: 1089–92.
- 23Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State-specific prevalence of arthritis-attributable work limitation: United States, 2003. MMWR 2007; 56: 1045–9.
- 24Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Arthritis program. 2007. URL: http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/data_statistics/faqs/data_sources.htm#10.
- 25Preparing for ACHES (Arthritis Conditions Health Effects Survey) final report. Vol. 1. Seattle: Battelle; 2006. p. 1–110., , .
- 26Council of American Survey Research Organizations Web site. URL: http://www.casro.org/.
- 27Formal volunteering as a protective factor for older adults' psychological well-being. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2004; 59B: S258–64., .
- 28How to score version 2 of the SF-36 health survey. Lincoln (RI): QualityMetric, Inc.; 2000., , .
- 33SAS/STAT user's guide: version 9.1. Cary (NC): SAS Institute; 2004.
- 34Sampling: design and analysis. Pacific Rim (CA): Brooks/Cole Publishing, Duxberry Press; 1999..
- 35Design and estimation for the National Health Interview Survey, 1995–2004. Vital Health Stat 2 2000; 130: 1–41., , , .
- 37Logistic regression using the SAS system. Cary (NC): Wiley Interscience, SAS Institute; 1991. p. 48–51..
- 38Age differences and age changes in activities: Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Gerontol B Sci Soc Sci 1996; 51B: S30–41., , .
- 41Adaptation to chronic illness and disability and its relationship to perceptions of independence and dependence. Psychol Aging 2000; 55B: P362–72., , .
- 45Understanding social role participation: what matters to people with arthritis? J Rheumatol 2008; 35: 1–9., , , , , , et al.