Collaboration with patients in the design of patient-reported outcome measures: Capturing the experience of fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2010
Copyright © 2010 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 62, Issue 11, pages 1552–1558, November 2010
How to Cite
Nicklin, J., Cramp, F., Kirwan, J., Urban, M. and Hewlett, S. (2010), Collaboration with patients in the design of patient-reported outcome measures: Capturing the experience of fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res, 62: 1552–1558. doi: 10.1002/acr.20264
- Issue published online: 2 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Received: 8 NOV 2009
- Unrestricted educational grant from GlaxoSmithKline
- Research grant from Above and Beyond Charity, University Hospitals Bristol
- 4Fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis [abstract]. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2002; 41 Suppl: 73., , .
- 15US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Center for Devices and Radiological Health. Guidance for industry: patient-reported outcome measures. Use in medical product development to support labeling claims. 2009. URL: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM193282.pdf.
- 17Health measurement scales: a practical guide to their development and use. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1989., .
- 20Dimensions and correlates of fatigue in older adults with rheumatoid arthritis [dissertation]. San Francisco: University of California, San Francisco; 1991..
- 21Profile of mood states manual. New York: Multihealth Systems Inc; 1992., , .
- 28The development of scales to measure fatigue in people with rheumatoid arthritis [dissertation]. Bristol (UK): University of the West of England; 2009..
- 31Using software for qualitative data analysis: a step by step guide. 4th ed. London: Sage; 2006., .
- 32Doing psychological research: gathering and analysing data. Buckingham: Open University Press; 2000..
- 33Basics of qualitative research: grounded theory procedures and techniques. Thousand Oaks (CA): Sage Publications; 1990., .
- 36Focus groups with users and providers of health care. In: PopeC, MayesN, editors. Qualitative research in healthcare. London: BMJ Publishing Group; 2000. p. 20–29..
- 37Cognitive sciences and survey methods. In: JabineTB, StrafML, TanurJM, TourangeauR, editors. Cognitive aspects of survey methodology: building a bridge between the disciplines. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1984. p. 73–93., , , .
- 41Questionnaire design: student learning resources development. Leicester (UK): De Montfort University; 1993..
- 43Coping and adaptation. In: GentryWG, editor. Handbook of behavioural medicine. London: Guilford; 1984. p. 282–325., .