Dr. Deal has received consultant fees, speaking fees, and/or honoraria (more than $10,000 each) from Lilly, Amgen, and Genentech.
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2010
Copyright © 2010 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 62, Issue 11, pages 1515–1526, November 2010
How to Cite
Grossman, J. M., Gordon, R., Ranganath, V. K., Deal, C., Caplan, L., Chen, W., Curtis, J. R., Furst, D. E., McMahon, M., Patkar, N. M., Volkmann, E. and Saag, K. G. (2010), American College of Rheumatology 2010 recommendations for the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Arthritis Care Res, 62: 1515–1526. doi: 10.1002/acr.20295
Members of the Core Executive Panel: Jennifer M. Grossman, MD, Veena K. Ranganath, MD, Weiling Chen, MA, Daniel E. Furst, MD, Maureen McMahon, MD, MSc, Elizabeth Volkmann, MD, Rebecca Gordon, MD, Kenneth G. Saag, MD, MSc, Jeffrey R. Curtis, MD, MPH, Nivedita M. Patkar, Liron Caplan, MD.
Members of the Task Force Panel: Robert Adler, MD (McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, VA), Gary Bryant, MD (University of Minnesota, Minneapolis), Cathleen Colon-Emeric, MD, MHSc (Duke University, Durham, NC), Chad Deal, MD (Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH), Joseph Flood, MD (Musculoskeletal Medical Specialists, Columbus, OH), Theodore Hahn, MD (VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System GRECC and University of California, Los Angeles), Amye Leong, MBA (Healthy Motivation, Santa Barbara, CA), Michael Maricic, MD (University of Arizona, Tucson), Anthony Sebba, MD (University of South Florida, Tampa), Stuart Silverman, MD (University of California, Los Angeles).
Members of the Expert Advisory Panel: Johannes W. J. Bijlsma, MD (University of Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands), Chad Deal, MD (Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH), Nancy Lane, MD (University of California, Davis), Marc Hochberg, MD, MPH (University of Maryland, Baltimore), Willem Lems, MD (Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands), Catherine MacLean, MD, PhD (WellPoint, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA).
The American College of Rheumatology is an independent professional, medical, and scientific society which does not guarantee, warrant, or endorse any commercial product or service.
- Issue published online: 2 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2009
Vol. 64, Issue 3, 464, Article first published online: 28 FEB 2012
- 9Efficacy and safety of daily risedronate in the treatment of corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis in men and women: a randomized trial. European Corticosteroid-Induced Osteoporosis Treatment Study. J Bone Miner Res 2000; 15: 1006–13., , , , , , et al.
- 18FRAX. WHO Fracture Risk Assessment Tool. URL: http://www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/.
- 19National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician's guide to the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. Washington (DC): National Osteoporosis Foundation; 2008.
- 36Two-year effects of alendronate on bone mineral density and vertebral fracture in patients receiving glucocorticoids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled extension trial. Arthritis Rheum 2001; 44: 202–11., , , , , , et al.
- 38Positive effect of alendronate on bone mineral density and markers of bone turnover in patients with rheumatoid arthritis on chronic treatment with low-dose prednisone: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Osteoporos Int 2006; 17: 716–23., , , , , , et al.
- 78Bisphosphonates for steroid induced osteoporosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; 2: CD001347., , , , , , et al.
- 79Calcium and vitamin D for corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; 2: CD000952., , , , , .
- 84Calcitonin for the treatment and prevention of corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; 2: CD001983., , , , , , et al.
- 91ACC/AHA 2005 guideline update for the diagnosis and management of chronic heart failure in the adult: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to update the 2001 guidelines for the evaluation and management of heart failure). Developed in collaboration with the American College of Chest Physicians and the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation: endorsed by the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 2005; 112: e154–235., , , , , , et al.
- 92Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 2: CD007146., , , , , , et al.
- 100Safety and efficacy of risedronate in patients with age-related reduced renal function as estimated by the Cockcroft and Gault method: a pooled analysis of nine clinical trials. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20: 2105–15., , , , , .
- 101K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for bone metabolism and disease in chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 42 Suppl 3: S1–201.