Role of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and prognosis of rheumatoid arthritis
Article first published online: 6 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 63, Issue 5, pages 675–688, May 2011
How to Cite
Suter, L. G., Fraenkel, L. and Braithwaite, R. S. (2011), Role of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and prognosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res, 63: 675–688. doi: 10.1002/acr.20409
- Issue published online: 6 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 6 MAY 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 NOV 2010 03:33PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Received: 19 MAY 2010
- NIH Mentored Career Development Award. Grant Number: K23-AR054095-01
- Arthritis Foundation Arthritis Investigator Award
- Arthritis Foundation
- American College of Rheumatology Research and Education Foundation
- Donaghue Foundation
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- 2FIN-RACo Trial Group. Delay to institution of therapy and induction of remission using single-drug or combination–disease-modifying antirheumatic drug therapy in early rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 46: 894–8., , , , , , et al, for the
- 7Diagnostic value of magnetic resonance imaging of the forefeet in early rheumatoid arthritis when findings on imaging of the metacarpophalangeal joints of the hands remain normal. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50: 2094–102., , , .
- 8Presence of significant synovitis in rheumatoid arthritis patients with disease-modifying antirheumatic drug–induced clinical remission: evidence from an imaging study may explain structural progression. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 3761–73., , , , , , et al.
- 9Bone edema scored on magnetic resonance imaging scans of the dominant carpus at presentation predicts radiographic joint damage of the hands and feet six years later in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48: 1814–27., , , , , , et al.
- 10MRI synovitis is associated with subsequent joint damage in early rheumatoid arthritis patients [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58 Suppl: S693., , , .
- 11Higgins JP, Green S, editors. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions: version 5.0.2 [updated September 2009]. 2009. URL: www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- 24Usefulness of magnetic resonance imaging of the hand versus anticyclic citrullinated peptide antibody testing to confirm the diagnosis of clinically suspected early rheumatoid arthritis in the absence of rheumatoid factor and radiographic erosions. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2008; 38: 101–9., , , , , , et al.
- 28A prediction rule for disease outcome in patients with undifferentiated arthritis using magnetic resonance imaging of the wrists and finger joints and serologic autoantibodies. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 61: 772–8., , , , , , et al.
- 32Magnetic resonance imaging–determined synovial membrane volume as a marker of disease activity and a predictor of progressive joint destruction in the wrists of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1999; 42: 918–29., , , , , , et al.
- 33Elucidation of the relationship between synovitis and bone damage: a randomized magnetic resonance imaging study of individual joints in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48: 64–71., , , , , , et al.
- 34Very early treatment with infliximab in addition to methotrexate in early, poor-prognosis rheumatoid arthritis reduces magnetic resonance imaging evidence of synovitis and damage, with sustained benefit after infliximab withdrawal: results from a twelve-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 27–35., , , , , , et al.
- 36Treatment of early rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized magnetic resonance imaging study comparing the effects of methotrexate alone, methotrexate in combination with infliximab, and methotrexate in combination with intravenous pulse methylprednisolone. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 56: 3919–27., , , , , , et al.
- 38Denosumab Rheumatoid Arthritis Study Group. Denosumab treatment effects on structural damage, bone mineral density, and bone turnover in rheumatoid arthritis: a twelve-month, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase II clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58: 1299–309., , , , , , et al, on behalf of the
- 49Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Private insurers' strategies for purchasing imaging services. Public Meeting, Ronald Reagan Building, The International Trade Center; March 18, 2004.
- 50Applause: affordable, portable in-office MRI. Madison (WI): GE Medical Systems; 2003.