Dr. Curtis has received consultant fees and/or honoraria (less than $10,000 each) from Abbott, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Crescendo, Lilly, Merck, and Pfizer, and (more than $10,000 each) from Amgen, Centocor, the Consortium of Rheumatology Researchers of North America, Roche/Genentech, and UCB.
Quality of Care
Physicians' explanations for apparent gaps in the quality of rheumatology care: Results from the US Medicare Physician Quality Reporting System
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 2, pages 235–243, February 2013
How to Cite
Curtis, J. R., Sharma, P., Arora, T., Bharat, A., Barnes, I., Morrisey, M. A., Kilgore, M., Saag, K. G., Wright, N. C., Yun, H. G. and Delzell, E. (2013), Physicians' explanations for apparent gaps in the quality of rheumatology care: Results from the US Medicare Physician Quality Reporting System. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 235–243. doi: 10.1002/acr.21713
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 MAY 2012 10:25AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 FEB 2012
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Grant Numbers: R01-HS018517, R01-HS018517, U18-HS016956
- NIH. Grant Numbers: AR-053351, AR-052361
- 1Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Quality measures. URL: https://www.cms.gov/qualitymeasures/.
- 2National Quality Forum. Improving healthcare quality. URL: http://www.qualityforum.org/Show_Content.aspx?id=119.
- 3Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Medicare program; hospital inpatient value-based purchasing program: final rule. Fed Regist 2011; 76: 26490–547. URL: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-05-06/pdf/2011-10568.pdf.
- 4American Medical Association. Physician Quality Reporting Initiative measured against AMA's principles for pay for performance programs. URL: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/368/cms_pqri_chart.pdf.
- 7Trends in prevention of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. J Rheumatol 2006; 33: 1651–7., , , , , .
- 13The delivery of evidence-based preventive care for older Americans with arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther 2010; 12: R144., , , , , , et al.
- 14Modelling multivariate binary data with alternating logistic regressions. Biometrika 1993; 80: 517–26., , .
- 15National Committee for Quality Assurance. Healthcare effectiveness data and information set 2009. URL: http://www.ncqa.org/tabid/784/Default.aspx.
- 16Physician Payment Review Commission. Risk selection and risk adjustment in Medicare. In: Annual report to congress. Washington, DC: Physician Payment Review Commission; 1996. p. 255–79.
- 18Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Medicare Advantage program payment system. URL: http://www.medpac.gov/documents/MedPAC_Payment_Basics_11_MA.pdf.
- 21Validation of rheumatoid arthritis diagnoses in health care utilization data. Arthritis Res Ther 2011; 13: R32., , , , , , et al.
- 22Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Physician Quality Reporting System. URL: https://www.cms.gov/PQRS/20_AlternativeReportingMechanisms.asp.
- 24Trends in rheumatology practice: a survey of US rheumatologists [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58 Suppl: S747..
- 25Trends in treatment and outcomes of rheumatoid arthritis in Germany 1997-2007: results from the National Database of the German Collaborative Arthritis Centres. Ann Rheum Dis 2010; 69: 1803–8., , , , , .