Dr. Eaton has received honoraria (less than $10,000) from the Medical University of South Carolina.
Special Theme Articles: Obesity and the Rheumatic Diseases
Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 1, pages 53–61, January 2013
How to Cite
Lee, J., Song, J., Hootman, J. M., Semanik, P. A., Chang, R. W., Sharma, L., van Horn, L., Bathon, J. M., Eaton, C. B., Hochberg, M. C., Jackson, R., Kwoh, C. K., Mysiw, W. J., Nevitt, M. and Dunlop, D. D. (2013), Obesity and other modifiable factors for physical inactivity measured by accelerometer in adults with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 53–61. doi: 10.1002/acr.21754
ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT0080171.
The findings and conclusions herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the Osteoarthritis Initiative.
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 JUN 2012 10:35AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 FEB 2012
- National Institute for Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases. Grant Numbers: P60-AR48098, R01-AR055287, R01-AR054155, R21-AR059412
- Falk Medical Research Trust
- The Osteoarthritis Initiative (OAI). Grant Numbers: N01-AR-2-2258, N01-AR-2-2259, N01-AR-2-2260, N01-AR-2-2261, N01-AR-2-2262
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- 1Centers for Disease Controland Prevention. Prevalence of doctor-diagnosed arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation: United States, 2007-2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2010; 59: 1261–5.
- 3Cost of musculoskeletal diseases: impact of work disability and functional decline. J Rheumatol Suppl 2003; 68: 8–11..
- 7Exercise and depressive symptoms: a comparison of aerobic and resistance exercise effects on emotional and physical function in older persons with high and low depressive symptomatology. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2002; 57: 124–32., , , , , , et al.
- 12US Department of Health and Human Services. 2008 physical activity guidelines for Americans. 2008. URL: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/pdf/paguide.pdf.
- 19Obesity and physical inactivity among Wisconsin adults with arthritis. WMJ 2003; 102: 24–8., , .
- 23Atlas of individual radiographic features in osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 1995; Suppl A: 3–70., , , , .
- 24The Osteoarthritis Initiative. Osteoarthritis Initiative (OAI) database. In: Center OIC, ed. Baseline 0.2.2, 12 month visit 1.2.1, 24 month visit 3.2.1 and 36 month visit 5.2.1 ed. San Francisco, CA; 2010. URL: http://www.oai.ucsf.edu.
- 38Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Report on the dietary guidelines for Americans. Washington (DC): US Department of Health and Human Services; 2010.
- 39Institute of Medicine Panel on Macronutrients, Subcommittees on Upper Reference Levels of Nutrients and Interpretation and Uses of Dietary Reference Intakes, Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes. Dietary reference intakes for energy, carbohydrates, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein, and amino acids (macronutrients). Washington (DC): National Academies Press; 2005.
- 41The occurrence of lung cancer in man. Acta Unio Internationalis Contra Cancrum 1953; 19: 531–41..
- 42Attributable risk. In: Statistical methods for rates and proportions. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1981. p. 75–7..
- 53Calm energy: how people regulate mood with food and exercise. New York: Oxford University Press; 2001..