The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the Osteoarthritis Initiative.
Racial and ethnic differences in physical activity guidelines attainment among people at high risk of or having knee osteoarthritis†
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 2, pages 195–202, February 2013
How to Cite
Song, J., Hochberg, M. C., Chang, R. W., Hootman, J. M., Manheim, L. M., Lee, J., Semanik, P. A., Sharma, L., Dunlop, D. D. and for the Osteoarthritis Initiative Investigators (2013), Racial and ethnic differences in physical activity guidelines attainment among people at high risk of or having knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 195–202. doi: 10.1002/acr.21803
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 JUL 2012 12:48PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAY 2012
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Grant Numbers: P60-AR-48098, R01-AR-055287, R01-AR-054155, R21-AR-059412
- NIH, a branch of the Department of Health and Human Services. Grant Numbers: N01-AR-2-2258, N01-AR-2-2259, N01-AR-2-2260, N01-AR-2-2261, N01-AR-2-2262
- Osteoarthritis Initiative Investigators
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Foundation for the NIH
- 3United States Census Bureau: international population reports. An aging world, 2008. Washington (DC): US Government Printing Office; 2009., .
- 5Cost of musculoskeletal diseases: impact of work disability and functional decline. J Rheumatol Suppl 2003; 68: 8–11..
- 14Physical Activity Guidelines Committee. 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Washington (DC): Department of Health and Human Services; 2008.
- 16Healthy People 2020. US Department of Health and Human Services. 2010. URL: http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/TopicsObjectives2020/pdfs/HP2020_brochure_with_LHI_508.pdf.
- 18Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Trends in leisure-time physical inactivity by age, sex, and race/ethnicity: United States, 1994-2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005; 54: 991–4.
- 31Osteoarthritis Initiative. Complete clinical data: V0.2.2, V1.2.1, V3.2.1, V5.2.1, V6.2.1. URL: http://oai.epi-ucsf.org/datarelease/DataClinical.asp.
- 33Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of self-reported physically active adults—United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2008; 57: 1297–300.
- 41Pilot study of a faith-based physical activity program among sedentary blacks. Prev Chronic Dis 2008; 5: A51., , , .
- 42Physical activity participation in African American churches. J Cult Divers 2009; 16: 26–31., , , .
- 43Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Physical activity: the arthritis pain reliever. 2010. URL: http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/interventions/physical/overview.htm.
- 44Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Racial/ethnic disparities in prevalence, treatment, and control of hypertension: United States, 1999-2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005; 54: 7–9.
- 47Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Regional and racial differences in prevalence of stroke: 23 states and District of Columbia, 2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005; 54: 481–4.