Dr. Thornhill has received consultant fees or royalties (more than $10,000) from DePuy, and owns stock or stock options in Conformis.
Preceding the procedure: Medical devices and shared decision making
Version of Record online: 27 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 1, pages 148–151, January 2013
How to Cite
Prokopetz, J. J., Katz, J. N., Losina, E., Thornhill, T. S., Wright, J. and Lehmann, L. S. (2013), Preceding the procedure: Medical devices and shared decision making. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 148–151. doi: 10.1002/acr.21826
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 27 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 6 OCT 2012 10:26AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2012
- NIH. Grant Numbers: P60-AR-47782, P60-AR-47782, K24-AR-057827, 1UL1-RR-025758-01 from the Harvard Catalyst
- Safra Center for Ethics, Harvard University
- 1Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project nationwide inpatient sample. United States Department of Health & Human Services. 2009. URL: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/.
- 2Medical devices and the public's health: the FDA 510(k) clearance process at 35 years. Washington (DC): Institute of Medicine, National Academies Press; 2011.
- 5Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency. Medical device alert: all metal-on-metal (MoM) hip replacements. London: Department of Health; 2010.
- 7National joint replacement registries: has the time come? J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001; 83A: 1582–5..
- 10Fact sheet: Physician Payments Sunshine provisions in health care reform. Boston: Pew Prescription Project; 2010.
- 15Rates and outcomes of primary and revision total hip replacement in the United States Medicare population. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85: 27–32., , , , , , et al.
- 18Modifying unwarranted variations in health care: shared decision making using patient decision aids. Health Aff (Millwood) 2004; Suppl: VAR63–72., , .
- 22Why do we need a national joint replacement registry in the United States? Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 2009; 38: 500–3., .