Dr. Murphy has received consultancy fees, speaking fees, and/or honoraria (less than $10,000 each) from the American College of Rheumatology and the American Pain Society and has received an investigator-initiated grant from Zars Pharmaceuticals.
Relationship Between Fatigue and Subsequent Physical Activity Among Older Adults With Symptomatic Osteoarthritis
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2013
Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 1617–1624, October 2013
How to Cite
Murphy, S. L., Alexander, N. B., Levoska, M. and Smith, D. M. (2013), Relationship Between Fatigue and Subsequent Physical Activity Among Older Adults With Symptomatic Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 1617–1624. doi: 10.1002/acr.22030
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 APR 2013 08:54AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 JAN 2013
- Rehabilitation Research and Development Service of the VA Office of Research and Development. Grant Number: Award 1I01RX000410
- National Institute on Aging. Grant Numbers: AG024824, AG109675
- Dorothy and Herman Miller Fund for Mobility Research in Older Adults
- 1Disabling symptoms: what do older women report?J Gen Intern Med2002;17:766–73., , .
- 2Fatigue in osteoarthritis: a qualitative study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord2008;9:63., , , , .
- 3The prevalence and meaning of fatigue in rheumatic disease.J Rheumatol1996;23:1407–17., , .
- 4Fatigue in knee and hip osteoarthritis: the role of pain and physical function.Rheumatology (Oxford)2011;50:1894–900..
- 5Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci2001;56:M146–56., , , , , , et al.
- 6Untangling the concepts of disability, frailty, and comorbidity: implications for improved targeting and care.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci2004;59:255–63..
- 7Onset of mobility disability among community-dwelling old men and women: the role of tiredness in daily activities.Age Ageing2003;32:579–84., , .
- 8Tiredness in daily activities among nondisabled old people as determinant of onset of disability.J Clin Epidemiol2002;55:965–73., , , , .
- 9Tiredness in daily activities at age 70 as a predictor of mortality during the next 10 years.J Clin Epidemiol1998;51:323–33., , .
- 10Fatigue and function over 3 years among older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci2008;63:1389–92., .
- 11Fatigue predicts mortality in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc2008;56:1910–4., .
- 12Restricted activity among community-living older persons: incidence, precipitants, and health care utilization.Ann Intern Med2001;135:313–21..
- 13Bedside-to-Bench Conference: research agenda for idiopathic fatigue and aging.J Am Geriatr Soc2010;58:967–75., , , , , , et al.
- 14The impact of momentary pain and fatigue on physical activity in women with osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum2008;59:849–56., , , .
- 15Ecological measurement of fatigue and fatigability in older adults with osteoarthritis.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci2010;65:184–9., .
- 16The association between symptoms, pain coping strategies, and physical activity among people with symptomatic knee and hip osteoarthritis.Front Psychol2012;3:326., , , .
- 17What WOMAC pain score should make a patient eligible for a trial in knee osteoarthritis?J Rheumatol2005;32:540–2., , .
- 18Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis: classification of osteoarthritis of the knee.Arthritis Rheum1986;29:1039–49., , , , , , et al.
- 19The American College of Rheumatology criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis of the hip.Arthritis Rheum1991;34:505–14., , , , , , et al.
- 20Screening for depression in well older adults: evaluation of a short form of the CES-D (Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale).Am J Prev Med1994;10:77–84., , , .
- 21Six-item screener to identify cognitive impairment among potential subjects for clinical research.Med Care2002;40:771–81., , , , .
- 22The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Appl Psychol Meas1977;1:385–401..
- 23The rapid assessment of fatigue severity in cancer patients: use of the Brief Fatigue Inventory.Cancer1999;85:1186–96., , , , , , et al.
- 24Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee.J Rheumatol1988;15:1833–40., , , , .
- 25Validation for the reduced Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index function scale.J Orthop Surg2008;16:50–4., , .
- 26Relationships between the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI), Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS), and clinical/polysomnographic measures in a community sample.J Clin Sleep Med2008;4:563–71., , , , , , et al.
- 27The timed “Up & Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc1991;39:142–8., .
- 28Two-, six-, and 12-minute walking tests in respiratory disease.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed)1982;284:1607–8., , , , .
- 29Validation of the COSMED K4 b2 portable metabolic system.Int J Sports Med2001;22:280–4..
- 30Oxygen-uptake (VO2) kinetics and functional mobility performance in impaired older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci2003;58:734–9., , , .
- 31Physical activity assessment with accelerometers.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord1999;23 Suppl 3:S45–9..
- 32Preliminary evaluation of reliability and criterion validity of Actiwatch-Score.J Rehabil Res Dev2007;44:223–30., , , .
- 33Ambulatory monitoring of physical activity and symptoms in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.Arthritis Rheum2005;52:296–303., , , , , , et al.
- 34Using SAS PROC MIXED to fit multilevel models, hierarchical models, and individual growth models.J Educ Behav Stat1998;24:323–55..
- 35Multiple regression: testing and interpreting interactions.Newbury Park (CA):Sage;1991., .
- 36Reference values for the Timed Up and Go test: a descriptive meta-analysis.J Geriatr Phys Ther2006;29:64–8..
- 37Age- and gender-related test performance in community-dwelling elderly people: Six-Minute Walk Test, Berg Balance Scale, Timed Up & Go Test, and gait speeds.Phys Ther2002;82:128–37., , .
- 38Physical activity levels and functional performance in the osteoarthritis initiative: a graded relationship.Arthritis Rheum2011;63:127–36., , , , .
- 39Activity pacing: what are we measuring and how does it relate to treatment?Pain2010;149:582–3., .
- 40Effects of tailored activity pacing intervention on pain and fatigue for adults with osteoarthritis.Am J Occup Ther2010;64:869–76., , , , .
- 41Prognostic significance of potential frailty criteria.J Am Geriatr Soc2008;56:2211–6., , .