Dr. Bombardier has received honoraria (less than $10,000 each) from and/or has served as a member of the advisory boards of Abbott, AstraZeneca, BioGen, BMS, Pfizer, Pfizer/Wyeth, Merck (Schering), Janssen, and Takeda, and has received honoraria (more than $10,000) from Abbott International.
Accuracy of Canadian Health Administrative Databases in Identifying Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Validation Study Using the Medical Records of Rheumatologists†
Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 1582–1591, October 2013
How to Cite
Widdifield, J., Bernatsky, S., Paterson, J. M., Tu, K., Ng, R., Thorne, J. C., Pope, J. E. and Bombardier, C. (2013), Accuracy of Canadian Health Administrative Databases in Identifying Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Validation Study Using the Medical Records of Rheumatologists. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 1582–1591. doi: 10.1002/acr.22031
The opinions, results, and conclusions are those of the authors and are independent from the funding sources. No endorsement by the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences or the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is intended or should be inferred.
- Issue online: 24 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 APR 2013 08:54AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2012
- Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, a nonprofit research corporation funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Ontario Biologics Research Initiative/Ontario Best Practices Research Initiative
- Career award from the Fonds de la Recherche en Santé du Québec
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research fellowship award in the Area of Primary Care (2011–2013)
- Canada Research Chair in Knowledge Transfer for Musculoskeletal Care (2002–2016)
- Pfizer Research Chair in Rheumatology
- 3Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).2008. URL: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/.
- 4World Health Organization. International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification. URL: http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/.
- 5Canadian Institute for Health Information. The CIHI Data Quality Framework. Ottawa: CIHI;2009. URL: http://www.cihi.ca/CIHI-ext-portal/pdf/internet/data_quality_framework_2009_en.
- 6Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Ontario public drug programs.2008. URL: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/drugs/odbf_mn.html.
- 7Supply and utilization of general practitioner and family physician services in Ontario.Toronto:Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences;2005., .
- 8Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences. Improving health care data in Ontario: ICES investigative report. Toronto: ICES;2005. URL: http://www.ices.on.ca/file/HealthData.pdf.
- 10Arthritis and related conditions in Ontario.Toronto:Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences;2004., .
- 23Defining and validating chronic diseases: an administrative data approach.Winnipeg:Manitoba Centre for Health Policy;2006., , , , , , et al.
- 27Accuracy of Canadian health administrative databases for identifying patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a validation study using the medical records of primary care physicians [abstract].Arthritis Rheum2012;64 Suppl:S402., , , , , , et al.
- 30Characteristics of subjects self-reporting arthritis in a population health survey: distinguishing between types of arthritis.Can J Public Health2009;100:467–71., , .
- 31Health care utilization for musculoskeletal disorders.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2010;62:161–9., , , .
- 32Public Health Agency of Canada, Arthritis Consumer Experts, Arthritis Community Research & Evaluation Unit, Canadian Arthritis Patients Alliance, Canadian Arthritis Network, Canadian Institute for Health Information, Statistics Canada, The Arthritis Society. Life with arthritis in Canada: a personal and public health challenge.2010. URL: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cd-mc/arthritis-arthrite/lwaic-vaaac-10/pdf/arthritis-2010-eng.pdf.