Dr. Bombardier has received honoraria (less than $10,000 each) from and/or has served as a member of the advisory boards of Abbott, AstraZeneca, BioGen, BMS, Pfizer, Pfizer/Wyeth, Merck (Schering), Janssen, and Takeda, and has received honoraria (more than $10,000) from Abbott International.
Accuracy of Canadian Health Administrative Databases in Identifying Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Validation Study Using the Medical Records of Rheumatologists†
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 1582–1591, October 2013
How to Cite
Widdifield, J., Bernatsky, S., Paterson, J. M., Tu, K., Ng, R., Thorne, J. C., Pope, J. E. and Bombardier, C. (2013), Accuracy of Canadian Health Administrative Databases in Identifying Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Validation Study Using the Medical Records of Rheumatologists. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 1582–1591. doi: 10.1002/acr.22031
The opinions, results, and conclusions are those of the authors and are independent from the funding sources. No endorsement by the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences or the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is intended or should be inferred.
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 APR 2013 08:54AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2012
- Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, a nonprofit research corporation funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Ontario Biologics Research Initiative/Ontario Best Practices Research Initiative
- Career award from the Fonds de la Recherche en Santé du Québec
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research fellowship award in the Area of Primary Care (2011–2013)
- Canada Research Chair in Knowledge Transfer for Musculoskeletal Care (2002–2016)
- Pfizer Research Chair in Rheumatology
- 1The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum1988;31:315–24., , , , , , et al.
- 22010 rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria: an American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism collaborative initiative.Arthritis Rheum2010;62:2569–81., , , , , , et al.
- 3Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).2008. URL: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/.
- 4World Health Organization. International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification. URL: http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/.
- 5Canadian Institute for Health Information. The CIHI Data Quality Framework. Ottawa: CIHI;2009. URL: http://www.cihi.ca/CIHI-ext-portal/pdf/internet/data_quality_framework_2009_en.
- 6Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Ontario public drug programs.2008. URL: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/drugs/odbf_mn.html.
- 7Supply and utilization of general practitioner and family physician services in Ontario.Toronto:Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences;2005., .
- 8Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences. Improving health care data in Ontario: ICES investigative report. Toronto: ICES;2005. URL: http://www.ices.on.ca/file/HealthData.pdf.
- 10Arthritis and related conditions in Ontario.Toronto:Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences;2004., .
- 11Intraclass correlation coefficient and outcome prevalence are associated in clustered binary data.J Clin Epidemiol2005;58:246–51..
- 12The STARD statement for reporting studies of diagnostic accuracy: explanation and elaboration.Ann Intern Med2003;138:W1–12., , , , , , et al.
- 13Development and use of reporting guidelines for assessing the quality of validation studies of health administrative data.J Clin Epidemiol2011;64:821–9., , , , , .
- 14Rheumatoid arthritis in a medical information system: how valid is the diagnosis?Scand J Soc Med1983;11:27–32., , .
- 15The ARA 1987 revised criteria select patients with clinical rheumatoid arthritis from a population based cohort of subjects with chronic rheumatic diseases registered for drug reimbursement.J Rheumatol1993;20:1674–8., , .
- 16Validity of rheumatoid arthritis diagnoses listed in the Saskatchewan Hospital Separations Database.J Clin Epidemiol1993;46:675–83., , , .
- 17The sensitivity and specificity of computerized databases for the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum1994;37:821–3..
- 18Agreement between physicians' office records and Medicare Part B claims data.Health Care Financ Rev1995;16:189–99., , , , , .
- 19Sensitivity and positive predictive value of Medicare Part B physician claims for rheumatologic diagnoses and procedures.Arthritis Rheum1997;40:1594–600., , , , , , et al.
- 20Accuracy of Medicare claims data for rheumatologic diagnoses in total hip replacement recipients.J Clin Epidemiol2003;56:515–9., , , .
- 21Validity of rheumatoid arthritis diagnoses in the Danish National Patient Registry.Eur J Epidemiol2004;19:1097–103., , , , .
- 22Accuracy of Veterans Administration databases for a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum2004;51:952–7., , .
- 23Defining and validating chronic diseases: an administrative data approach.Winnipeg:Manitoba Centre for Health Policy;2006., , , , , , et al.
- 24How accurate are diagnoses for rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile idiopathic arthritis in the General Practice Research Database?Arthritis Rheum2008;59:1314–21., , , , .
- 25Validation of rheumatoid arthritis diagnoses in health care utilization data.Arthritis Res Ther2011;13:R32., , , , , , et al.
- 26Systematic review and critical appraisal of validation studies to identify rheumatic diseases in health administrative databases.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2013;65:1490–1503., , , , , , et al.
- 27Accuracy of Canadian health administrative databases for identifying patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a validation study using the medical records of primary care physicians [abstract].Arthritis Rheum2012;64 Suppl:S402., , , , , , et al.
- 28Gaps in care for rheumatoid arthritis: a population study.Arthritis Rheum2005;53:241–8., , , .
- 29Quality care in seniors with new-onset rheumatoid arthritis: a Canadian perspective.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2011;63:53–7., , , , , , et al.
- 30Characteristics of subjects self-reporting arthritis in a population health survey: distinguishing between types of arthritis.Can J Public Health2009;100:467–71., , .
- 31Health care utilization for musculoskeletal disorders.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2010;62:161–9., , , .
- 32Public Health Agency of Canada, Arthritis Consumer Experts, Arthritis Community Research & Evaluation Unit, Canadian Arthritis Patients Alliance, Canadian Arthritis Network, Canadian Institute for Health Information, Statistics Canada, The Arthritis Society. Life with arthritis in Canada: a personal and public health challenge.2010. URL: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cd-mc/arthritis-arthrite/lwaic-vaaac-10/pdf/arthritis-2010-eng.pdf.
- 33Rheumatoid arthritis in UK primary care: incidence and prior morbidity.Scand J Rheumatol2009;38:173–7., , , , .
- 35Use of nonbiologic disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs and risk of infection in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum2008;59:1074–81., , , , .
- 36Rheumatoid arthritis disease severity indices in administrative databases: a systematic review.J Rheumatol2011;38:2318–25., , , .
- 37Case verification of children with asthma in Ontario.Pediatr Allergy Immunol2006;17:69–76., , , , , , et al.
- 38Tradeoffs between accuracy measures for electronic health care data algorithms.J Clin Epidemiol2012;65:343–9.e2., , .