The contents of this publication are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH.
Submaximal Heart and Pulmonary Evaluation: A Novel Noninvasive Test to Identify Pulmonary Hypertension in Patients With Systemic Sclerosis†
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 1713–1718, October 2013
How to Cite
Bernstein, E. J., Mandl, L. A., Gordon, J. K., Spiera, R. F. and Horn, E. M. (2013), Submaximal Heart and Pulmonary Evaluation: A Novel Noninvasive Test to Identify Pulmonary Hypertension in Patients With Systemic Sclerosis. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 1713–1718. doi: 10.1002/acr.22051
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 JUN 2013 09:24AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 JAN 2013
- Arthritis Foundation Clinical to Research Transition Award
- NIH. Grant Number: KL-2TR-000458
- 1Prevalence and outcome in systemic sclerosis associated pulmonary arterial hypertension: application of a registry approach.Ann Rheum Dis2003;62:1088–93., , , , , , et al.
- 2Early detection of pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis: a French nationwide prospective multicenter study.Arthritis Rheum2005;52:3792–800., , , , , , et al.
- 3Changes in causes of death in systemic sclerosis, 1972-2002.Ann Rheum Dis2007;66:940–4., .
- 4Echocardiographic features of primary pulmonary hypertension.J Am Soc Echocardiogr1999;12:655–62., , , , , , et al.
- 5Clinical evaluation of pulmonary hypertension in systemic sclerosis and related disorders: a Doppler echocardiographic study of 135 Japanese patients.Chest1997;111:36–43., , , , , , et al.
- 6Comparison of Doppler derived haemodynamic variables and simultaneous high fidelity pressure measurements in severe pulmonary hypertension.Br Heart J1994;72:384–9., , , , .
- 7The usefulness of submaximal exercise gas exchange to define pulmonary arterial hypertension.J Heart Lung Transplant2011;30:1133–42., , , , .
- 8Validation of a simplified, portable cardiopulmonary gas exchange system for submaximal exercise testing.Open Sports Med J2010;4:34–40., , , , , , et al.
- 9End-tidal CO2 pressure decreases during exercise in cardiac patients: association with severity of heart failure and cardiac output reserve.J Am Coll Cardiol2000;36:242–9., , , , , , et al.
- 10End-tidal PCO2 abnormality and exercise limitation in patients with primary pulmonary hypertension.Chest2005;127:1637–46., , , , .
- 11Developing pulmonary vasculopathy in systemic sclerosis, detected with non-invasive cardiopulmonary exercise testing.PloS One2010;5:e14293., , , , , , et al.
- 12Pulmonary hypertension in systemic sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus.Eur Respir Rev2011;20:277–86., .
- 13Ventilatory expired gas at constant-rate low-intensity exercise predicts adverse events and is related to neurohormonal markers in patients with heart failure.J Card Fail2009;15:482–8., , , , , , et al.