Effectiveness of Musculoskeletal Education Interventions in People With Low Literacy Levels: A Systematic Review
Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Arthritis Care & Research is published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the American College of Rheumatology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 12, pages 1976–1985, December 2013
How to Cite
Lowe, W., Ballinger, C., Protheroe, J., Lueddeke, J., Nutbeam, D., Armstrong, R., Falzon, L., Edwards, C., Russell, C., McCaffery, K. and Adams, J. (2013), Effectiveness of Musculoskeletal Education Interventions in People With Low Literacy Levels: A Systematic Review. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 1976–1985. doi: 10.1002/acr.22085
- Issue online: 27 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 AUG 2013 12:42PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2013
- Arthritis Research UK
- 1WHO Technical Report Series.The burden of musculoskeletal conditions at the start of the new millennium.Geneva:World Health Organization;2003.
- 2EULAR recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis. Report of a task force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials (ESCISIT).Ann Rheum Dis2003;62:1145–55., , , , , , et al.
- 3Ottawa panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for patient education in the management of rheumatoid arthritis (RA).Health Educ J2012. URL: http://hej.sagepub.com/content/71/4/397., , , , , , et al.
- 5Patient education for adults with rheumatoid arthritis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev2002;3:CD003688., , , .
- 6Evidence: helping people help themselves.London:Health Foundation;2011..
- 7National Institute for Clinical Excellence. Patient experience in adult NHS services: improving the experience of care for people using adult NHS services.2012. URL: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG138/NICEGuidance/pdf/english.
- 8Improving health outcomes with better patient understanding and education.Risk Manag Healthc Policy2010;3:61–72..
- 12Nielsen-Bohlman L, Panzer AM, Kindig D, editors, for the Committee on Health Literacy and Board of Neuroscience and Behavioural Health.Health literacy: a prescription to end confusion.Washington:National Academies Press;2004.
- 16Health literacy interventions and outcomes: an updated systematic review.Evid Rep Technol Assess2011;199:1–941., , , , , , et al.
- 17Impact of health literacy in patients with chronic musculoskeletal disease: systematic review.PLoS One2012;7:e40210. URL: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0040210., , , , , .
- 24Screening for low literacy in a rheumatology setting: more than 10% of patients cannot read “cartilage,” “diagnosis,” “rheumatologist,” or “symptom.”J Clin Rheumatol2010;16:359–64., , , , , .
- 26The causal pathways linking health literacy to health outcomes.Am J Health Behav2007; Suppl 1:19–26., .
- 30Higgins JP, Green S, editors. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions: version 188.8.131.521. URL: www.cochrane-handbook.org.
- 31An introduction to systematic reviews.London:Sage;2012., , .
- 33Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med2009;6:7;1–6.e1000097., , , .
- 34Literacy in arthritis [dissertation]. Chapel Hill (NC): University of North Carolina;2008..
- 36The relationship between health literacy, health knowledge and adherence to treatment in patients with rheumatoid arthritis [dissertation]. New York: Columbia University;2009..
- 38Literacy-related strategies to enhance recruitment to a randomized controlled trial of arthritis education [abstract].Arthritis Rheum2005;52 Suppl:S667–8., , , , .
- 45Preliminary results of a randomized controlled trial (RCT) of a literacy based educational intervention in arthritis management [abstract].Arthritis Rheum2006;54 Suppl:S766., , , , , , et al.
- 47The impact of self-care education on quality of life of those clients suffering from osteoarthritis in rehabilitation centres of Shiraz University of Medical Science (Iran).LA Ara J Babol Univ Med Sci2010;12:8–15., , , , .
- 48A randomized controlled trial to evaluate the effectiveness of two educational modalities in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA).Arthritis Rheum1992;35 Suppl:S123., , , , , , et al.
- 49Patient education in rheumatoid arthritis: its influence in the disease outcome.Revista Espanola De Reumatologia1996;23:40–8. In Spanish., , , , .
- 52Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences. 2nd ed.Englewood Cliffs (NJ):Lawrence Erlbaum Associates;1988..
- 58Testing rules of thumb and the science of health literacy [editorial].Ann Intern Med2011;155:129–30., .
- 59How and why do interventions that increase health overall widen inequalities within populations? In: Babones SJ, editor.Social inequality and public health.Bristol:Policy Press;2009. p.65–81., , .