Drs. Ringold and Weiss contributed equally to this work.
2013 Update of the 2011 American College of Rheumatology Recommendations for the Treatment of Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Recommendations for the Medical Therapy of Children With Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis and Tuberculosis Screening Among Children Receiving Biologic Medications
Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 10, pages 1551–1563, October 2013
How to Cite
Ringold, S., Weiss, P. F., Beukelman, T., DeWitt, E. M., Ilowite, N. T., Kimura, Y., Laxer, R. M., Lovell, D. J., Nigrovic, P. A., Robinson, A. B. and Vehe, R. K. (2013), 2013 Update of the 2011 American College of Rheumatology Recommendations for the Treatment of Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Recommendations for the Medical Therapy of Children With Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis and Tuberculosis Screening Among Children Receiving Biologic Medications. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 1551–1563. doi: 10.1002/acr.22087
This article is published simultaneously in the October 2013 issue of Arthritis & Rheumatism.
The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Members of the Core Expert Panel: Timothy Beukelman, Esi Morgan DeWitt, Norman T. Ilowite, Yukiko Kimura, Ronald M. Laxer, Daniel J. Lovell, Peter A. Nigrovic, Sarah Ringold, Angela Byun Robinson, Richard K. Vehe, and Pamela F. Weiss.
Members of the Task Force Panel: Mara Becker, Robert A. Colbert, Vincent Delgaizo, Pavla Dolezalova, Polly Ferguson, Chris Feudtner, Sheila Angeles-Han, Alberto Martini, Murray Passo, Sampath Prahalad, Marilynn Punaro, Rayfel Schneider, David D. Sherry, and Carol A. Wallace.
- Issue online: 24 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAR 2013
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality for the duration of this project. Grant Number: K12HS019482
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, NIH. Grant Number: 1-K23-AR059749-01A1
- 12011 American College of Rheumatology recommendations for the treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis: initiation and safety monitoring of therapeutic agents for the treatment of arthritis and systemic features.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2011;63:465–82., , , , , , et al.
- 12The RAND/UCLA appropriateness method user's manual.Santa Monica (CA):RAND;2001., , , , .
- 13PRESS: peer review of electronic search strategies.Ottawa (ON):Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health;2008., , , .
- 16CEBM, Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine.Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine: levels of evidence (March 2009).Oxford (UK):Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine;2009. URL: http://www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=1025.
- 37Paediatric Rheumatology International Clinical Trials Organisation.A phase II, multicenter, open-label study evaluating dosing and preliminary safety and efficacy of canakinumab in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis with active systemic features.Arthritis Rheum2012;64:557–67., , , , , , et al, for the
- 43Radiologic analysis of the effect of tocilizumab on hands and large joints in children with systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis.Mod Rheumatol2012. E-pub ahead of print., , , , , , et al.
- 45Open label phase II trial of single, ascending doses of MRA in Caucasian children with severe systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis: proof of principle of the efficacy of IL-6 receptor blockade in this type of arthritis and demonstration of prolonged clinical improvement.Arthritis Res Ther2005;7:R1281–8., , , , , , et al.
- 47Rapid and sustained response to tocilizumab, anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody, in a patient with nephrotic syndrome secondary to systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis-related amyloidosis.NDT Plus2011;4:178–80., , , , .
- 51Efficacy and safety of oral and parenteral methotrexate therapy in children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: an observational study with patients from the German Methotrexate Registry.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2012;64:1349–56., , , , , .
- 55Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization and the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group.Long-term safety and efficacy of abatacept in children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.Arthritis Rheum2010;62:1792–802., , , , , , et al, for the
- 56Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization (PRINTO) and the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group (PRCGS).Abatacept improves health-related quality of life, pain, sleep quality, and daily participation in subjects with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2010;62:1542–51., , , , , , et al, for the
- 66Relapsing macrophage activating syndrome in a 15-year-old girl with Still's disease: a case report.J Med Case Rep2009;3:138., .
- 75Red Book: 2009 report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 28th ed.Elk Grove Village (IL):American Academy of Pediatrics;2009.
- 76Updated guidelines for using interferon γ release assays to detect Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection: United States, 2010.MMWR Recomm Rep2010;59:1–25., , , , , .