This manuscript was prepared using an Osteoarthritis Initiative (OAI) public use data set and does not necessarily reflect the opinions or views of the OAI investigators, the NIH, or the private funding partners.
Association of Metabolic Risk Factors With Cartilage Degradation Assessed by T2 Relaxation Time at the Knee: Data From the Osteoarthritis Initiative†
Article first published online: 27 NOV 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 65, Issue 12, pages 1942–1950, December 2013
How to Cite
Jungmann, P. M., Kraus, M. S., Alizai, H., Nardo, L., Baum, T., Nevitt, M. C., McCulloch, C. E., Joseph, G. B., Lynch, J. A. and Link, T. M. (2013), Association of Metabolic Risk Factors With Cartilage Degradation Assessed by T2 Relaxation Time at the Knee: Data From the Osteoarthritis Initiative. Arthritis Care Res, 65: 1942–1950. doi: 10.1002/acr.22093
- Issue published online: 27 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 27 NOV 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 AUG 2013 12:45PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2012
- NIH. Grant Numbers: U01-AR059507, P50-AR060752
- OAI. Grant Numbers: N01-AR-2-2258, N01-AR-2-2259, N01-AR-2-2260, N01-AR-2-2261, N01-AR-2-2262
- NIH, a branch of the Department of Health and Human Services
- OAI Study Investigators
- Merck Research Laboratories
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Foundation for the NIH
- 5New MRI techniques for imaging cartilage.J Bone Joint Surg Am2003;85-A Suppl:70–7., .
- 12Changes in knee cartilage T2 values over 24 months in subjects with and without risk factors for knee osteoarthritis and their association with focal knee lesions at baseline: data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative.J Magn Reson Imaging2012;35:370–8., , , , , , et al.
- 13Physical activity is associated with magnetic resonance imaging–based knee cartilage T2 measurements in asymptomatic subjects with and without osteoarthritis risk factors.Arthritis Rheum2011;63:2248–56., , , , , , et al.
- 24Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity.Circulation2009;120:1640–5., , , , , , et al.
- 29Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee.World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser1995;854:1–452.
- 30Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation.World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser2000;894:1–253.
- 38Vastus lateralis/vastus medialis cross-sectional area ratio impacts presence and degree of knee joint abnormalities and cartilage T2 determined with 3T MRI: an analysis from the incidence cohort of the Osteoarthritis Initiative.Osteoarthritis Cartilage2011;19:65–73., , , , , , et al.
- 41Correlation of magnetic resonance imaging–based knee cartilage T2 measurements and focal knee lesions with body mass index: thirty-six–month followup data from a longitudinal, observational multicenter study.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2013;65:23–33., , , , , , et al.
- 44T2 relaxation time measurements are limited in monitoring progression, once advanced cartilage defects at the knee occur: longitudinal data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative.J Magn Reson Imaging. In press., , , , , , et al.
- 47National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III).Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report.Circulation2002;106:3143–421.