The view(s) expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not reflect the official policy or position of Brooke Army Medical Center, the U.S. Army Medical Department, the U.S. Army Office of the Surgeon General, the Department of the Army, the U.S. Air Force, the Department of Defense, the Veterans' Affairs Administration, or the U.S. Government.
Special Theme Article: Clinical Imaging and the Rheumatic Diseases
Evolution of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound in the United States: Implementation and Practice in Rheumatology
Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2013
Copyright © 2014 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 66, Issue 1, pages 7–13, January 2014
How to Cite
Cannella, A. C., Kissin, E. Y., Torralba, K. D., Higgs, J. B. and Kaeley, G. S. (2014), Evolution of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound in the United States: Implementation and Practice in Rheumatology. Arthritis Care Res, 66: 7–13. doi: 10.1002/acr.22183
All authors are members of the Ultrasound School of North American Rheumatologists. Dr. Kaeley has received an unrestricted equipment loan from Esaote and Sonosite.
- Issue online: 24 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 OCT 2013 12:27PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAR 2013
- 14Training and education in rheumatology ultrasound: American experience. In: Wakefield R, D'Agostino M, editors. Essential applications of musculoskeletal ultrasound in rheumatology. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. p. 344–5..
- 15Whorton Marketing and Research. 2010 musculoskeletal ultrasound research: training directors survey (Nov 23-Dec 10 2010). Survey: American College of Rheumatology MSUS Certification Task Force; 2010.
- 17American College of Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Task Force.Ultrasound in American rheumatology practice: report of the American College of Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Task Force. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken)2010;62:1206–19.
- 18American College of Rheumatology. RhMSUS musculoskeletal ultrasound certification in rheumatology. 2013. URL: http://www.rheumatology.org/education/rhmsus/index.asp.
- 19Using ultrasonography as a teaching support tool in undergraduate medical education: time to reach a decision. Med Ultrason2012;14:211–6., , , .
- 22American College of Rheumatology 2013 Program Director Survey in Musculoskeletal Ultrasound. American College of Rheumatology Program Directors Meeting. Chicago (IL); 2013..
- 25Practice, training, and assessment among experts performing musculoskeletal ultrasonography: toward the development of an international consensus of educational standards for ultrasonography for rheumatologists. Arthritis Rheum2004;51:1018–22., , , , , .
- 27From novice to expert: competency milestones for musculoskeletal ultrasound [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum2012;64 Suppl:S1096., , , .
- 29American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM ultrasound practice accreditation. 2013. URL: http://www.aium.org/accreditation/accreditation.aspx.
- 30OsiriX Imaging Software. Advanced open-source PACS workstation DICOM viewer. 2013. URL: http://www.osirix-viewer.com/.
- 31American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for documentation of an ultrasound examination. 2008. URL: http://www.aium.org/resources/guidelines/documentation.pdf.
- 32American Medical Association.AMA CPT changes 2011: an insider's view. Chicago (IL): American Medical Association; 2011.
- 33American Medical Association. CPT: Current Procedural Terminology. 2013. URL: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/cpt.page.
- 34American Medical Association. CPT code/relative value search. 2013. URL: https://ocm.ama-assn.org/OCM/CPTRelativeValueSearch.do?submitbutton=accept.
- 35Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. License for use of Current Procedural Terminology, fourth edition (“CPT®”). 2013. URL: http://www.ama.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/medicare/the-medicare-physician-payment-schedule.page.
- 36American Medical Association. 2012 relative value units. 2012. URL: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/medicare/the-medicare-physician-payment-schedule.page.