Dr. Bozic has received consultant fees, speaking fees, and/or honoraria (more than $10,000 each) from Integrated Healthcare Association, Pacific Business Group on Health, and Harvard Business School (visiting scholar), and holds board memberships with AAOS (Council on Research and Quality), AAHKS (Health Policy, EBPC), American Joint Replacement Registry (Board of Directors), COA (President), OREF (Board of Trustees), and UCSF Medical Center (HTAP).
Risk Factors for Early Revision After Total Hip Arthroplasty
Article first published online: 27 MAY 2014
Copyright © 2014 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 66, Issue 6, pages 907–915, June 2014
How to Cite
Dy, C. J., Bozic, K. J., Pan, T. J., Wright, T. M., Padgett, D. E. and Lyman, S. (2014), Risk Factors for Early Revision After Total Hip Arthroplasty. Arthritis Care Res, 66: 907–915. doi: 10.1002/acr.22240
- Issue published online: 27 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 27 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 NOV 2013 09:30AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2013
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Grant Number: (grant T32-AR-07281)
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Grant Number: (grant RC1-AR-058280-01)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Grant Number: (grant U18-HS16075).
- 1Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007;89:780–5., , , , .
- 2Future clinical and economic impact of revision total hip and knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007;89 Suppl 3:144–51., , , , , , et al.
- 3Total hip arthroplasties in patients less than forty-five years old. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1983;65:474–9., , .
- 4Host factors that affect outcome of total hip arthroplasty. Lancet 2000;29:1479–80., .
- 5Using financial incentives to improve value in orthopaedics. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2012;470:1027–37., , .
- 6Prevalence of primary and revision total hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 1990 through 2002. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005;87:1487–97., , , , , .
- 7Reasons for revision hip surgery: a retrospective review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2004;429:188–92., , , , .
- 8The epidemiology of revision total hip arthroplasty in the United States. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009;91:128–33., , , , , .
- 9Early failure in total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006;447:76–8., , .
- 10The Frank Stinchfield Award: the impact of socioeconomic factors on outcome after THA. A prospective, randomized study. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2011;469:339–47., , , .
- 11Patient characteristics affecting the prognosis of total hip and knee joint arthroplasty: a systematic review. Can J Surg 2008;51:428–36., , , , , , et al.
- 12Risk factors for early revision after primary total hip arthroplasty in Medicare patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2014;472:449–54., , , , , , et al.
- 13Sex and risk of hip implant failure: assessing total hip arthroplasty outcomes in the United States. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:435–41., , , , , , et al.
- 14Revision rates after knee replacement in the United States. Med Care 1998;36:661–9., , , , , , et al.
- 15Second-generation cementless total hip arthroplasty: eight to eleven-year results. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001;83A:1666–73., , , , , , et al.
- 16Long-term results of use of the anatomic medullary locking prosthesis in total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997;79:177–84., , .
- 17The Harris-Galante porous-coated acetabular component with screw fixation: an average ten-year follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1999;81:66–73., .
- 18Comparison of ten-year survivorship of hip prostheses with use of conventional polyethylene, metal-on-metal, or ceramic-on-ceramic bearings. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012;94:1756–63., , , , .
- 19The Norwegian Arthroplasty Register: 11 years and 73,000 arthroplasties. Acta Orthop Scand 2000;71:337–53., , , , , .
- 20Revision following cemented and uncemented primary total hip replacement: a seven-year analysis from the New Zealand Joint Registry. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009;91:451–8., , , .
- 21Predictive value of Medicare claims data for identifying revision of index hip replacement was modest. J Clin Epidemiol 2011;64:543–6., , , , , , et al.
- 22Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data. Med Care 1998;36:8–27., , , .
- 23Rural-Urban Commuting Area Codes.2013. URL: http://depts.washington.edu/uwruca/index.php.
- 24How to do a revision total hip arthroplasty: revision of the acetabulum. Instr Course Lect 2012;61:303–11..
- 25Management of acetabular bone loss in revision total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011;93:1842–52., , , .
- 26Femoral fixation in revision total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011;93:2311–22., .
- 27Hospital resource utilization for primary and revision total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005;87:570–6., , , , , .
- 28Risk of subsequent revision after primary and revision total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010;468:3070–6., , , , .
- 29Quality of life outcomes in revision vs primary total hip arthroplasty: a prospective cohort study. J Arthroplasty 2008;23:550–3., , , , .
- 30Primary and revision hip arthroplasty: 5-year outcomes and influence of age and comorbidity. J Rheumatol 2007;34:394–400., , , .
- 31Relationship between outcome and annual surgical experience for the charnley total hip replacement: results from a regional hip register. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2003;85:187–90., , .
- 32Association between hospital and surgeon procedure volume and outcomes of total hip replacement in the United States medicare population. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001;83A:1622–9., , , , , L , et al.
- 33Orthopaedic procedure volume and patient outcomes: a systematic literature review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007;457:35–41., , .
- 34Early failures among 14,009 cemented and 1,326 uncemented prostheses for primary coxarthrosis: the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register, 1987-1992. Acta Orthop Scand 1994;65:1–6., , , .
- 35The Swedish Total Hip Replacement Register. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002;84-A Suppl 2:2–20., , , , .
- 36Risk factors for revision of primary total hip arthroplasty: a systematic review. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2012;13:251., , , , , .
- 37The influence of socioeconomic status on utilization and outcomes of elective total hip replacement: a multicity population-based longitudinal study. Int J Qual Health Care 2007;19:37–44., , , , , , et al.
- 38Impact of payer type on resource utilization, outcomes and access to care in total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2008;23 Suppl 1:9–14., .
- 39Disparity in total joint arthroplasty patient comorbidities, demographics, and postoperative outcomes based on insurance payer type. J Arthroplasty 2012;27:1761–5., , , , , .
- 40Demographic and comorbid disparities based on payer type in a total joint arthroplasty cohort: implications in a changing health care arena. Iowa Orthop J 2011;31:64–8., , , , , , et al.
- 41Hip disease and the prognosis of total hip replacements: a review of 53,698 primary total hip replacements reported to the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register 1987-99. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2001;83:579–86., , , , , .
- 42Risk of revision for infection in primary total hip and knee arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis compared with osteoarthritis: a prospective, population-based study on 108,786 hip and knee joint arthroplasties from the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2010;62:473–9., , , , , , et al.
- 43Orthopedic aspects of metabolic bone disease. Orthop Clin North Am 1998;29:103–34., .
- 44Poor bone quality or hip structure as risk factors affecting survival of total-hip arthroplasty. Lancet 2000;355:1499–504., , , , .
- 45Variables determining outcome in total hip replacement surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009;91:157–61., , , , .
- 46Factors that predict short-term complication rates after total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010;468:2363–71., , , , .
- 47Access to arthroplasty in South Florida. J Arthroplasty 2012;27:1585–8., , .
- 48Revision after total knee arthroplasty and unicompartmental knee arthroplasty in the medicare population. J Arthroplasty 2012;27:1480–6., , , , .
- 49Knee replacement: epidemiology, outcomes, and trends in Southern California: 17,080 replacements from 1995 through 2004. Acta Orthop 2008;79:812–9., , , , , , et al.