Dr. Kan owns stock and/ or holds stock options in GlaxoSmithKline.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Burden of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus on Employment and Work Productivity: Data From a Large Cohort in the Southeastern United States
Version of Record online: 27 MAY 2014
Copyright © 2014 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 66, Issue 6, pages 878–887, June 2014
How to Cite
Drenkard, C., Bao, G., Dennis, G., Kan, H. J., Jhingran, P. M., Molta, C. T. and Lim, S. S. (2014), Burden of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus on Employment and Work Productivity: Data From a Large Cohort in the Southeastern United States. Arthritis Care Res, 66: 878–887. doi: 10.1002/acr.22245
- Issue online: 27 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 27 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 10 DEC 2013 02:32PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUL 2013
- Human Genome Sciences
- 1Systemic lupus erythematosus in a multiethnic US cohort LUMINA (XLI): factors predictive of self-reported work disability. Ann Rheum Dis 2007;66:12–7., , , , .
- 2The impact of systemic lupus erythematosus on employment. J Rheumatol 2009;36:2470–5., , .
- 3Work dynamics among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2007;57:56–63., , , , , , et al.
- 4Risk factors for early work disability in systemic lupus erythematosus: results from a multicenter study. Arthritis Rheum 1997;40:2199–206., , , , , , et al.
- 5Employment and disability issues in systemic lupus erythematosus: a review. Arthritis Rheum 2008;59:1475–9., , , .
- 6Work disability in systemic lupus erythematosus is prevalent and associated with socio-demographic and disease related factors. Lupus 2009;18:1281–8., , , , .
- 7Health care costs and costs associated with changes in work productivity among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2008;59:1788–95., , , , , , et al.
- 8The incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus, 2002–2004: the Georgia Lupus Registry. Arthritis Rheumatol 2014;66:357–68., , , , , .
- 9Incidence of systemic lupus erythematosus: race and gender differences. Arthritis Rheum 1995;38:1260–70., , , , , .
- 10Work loss and work entry among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus: comparisons with a national matched sample. Arthritis Rheum 2009;61:247–58., , , , , , et al.
- 11Longitudinal study of the impact of incident organ manifestations and increased disease activity on work loss among persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2012;64:169–75., , , , , , et al.
- 12Impact of memory impairment on employment status in persons with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2007;57:1453–60., , , , , , et al.
- 13Primary preventive services in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: study from a population-based sample in Southeast US. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2013;43:209–16., , , , .
- 14Population-based lupus registries: advancing our epidemiologic understanding. Arthritis Rheum 2009;61:1462–6., , , , , , et al.
- 15Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee of the American College of Rheumatology.Updating the American College of Rheumatology revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus [letter].Arthritis Rheum 1997;40:1725., for the
- 16US Census Bureau. A compass for understanding and using American community survey data: what general data users need to know. In: US Department of Commerce, editor.Washington (DC):US Goverment Printing Office;2008.
- 17Validity of the work productivity and activity impairment questionnaire: general health version in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther 2010;12:R177., , , , , .
- 18Measures of work disability and productivity: Rheumatoid Arthritis Specific Work Productivity Survey (WPS-RA), Workplace Activity Limitations Scale (WALS), Work Instability Scale for Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA-WIS), Work Limitations Questionnaire (WLQ), and Work Productivity and Activity Impairment Questionnaire (WPAI). Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2011; Suppl 11:S337–49., , , , .
- 19The validity and reproducibility of a work productivity and activity impairment instrument. Pharmacoeconomics 1993;4:353–65., , .
- 20Validation of a Systemic Lupus Activity Questionnaire (SLAQ) for population studies. Lupus 2003;12:280–6., , , , , , et al.
- 21Validation of the systemic lupus erythematosus activity questionnaire in a large observational cohort. Arthritis Rheum 2008;59:136–43., , , , , .
- 22Brief index of lupus damage: a patient-reported measure of damage in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2011;63:1170–7., , , , , , et al.
- 23Validity of a self-administered version of the Brief Index of Lupus Damage in a predominantly African American systemic lupus erythematosus cohort. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2014;66:888–96., , , , , , et al.
- 24Probable inference, the law of succession, and statistical inference. J Am Stat Assoc 1927;22:209–12..
- 25Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Soc 1958;53:457–81..
- 26Stratification and adjustment: adjustment methods based on stratification. In: Szklo M, editor.Epidemiology: beyond the basics.Gaithersburg (MD):Aspen Publishers;2000. p.265–79., .
- 27Systemic lupus erythematosus in a multiethnic U.S. cohort (LUMINA) XXVII: factors predictive of a decline to low levels of disease activity. Lupus 2006;15:13–8., , , , , , et al.
- 28Bureau of Labor Statistics. Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment. Employment Projections2012. URL: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_001.htm.
- 29Prevalence of neurocognitive dysfunction and other clinical manifestations in disabled patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol 2006;33:531–8., , .
- 30The substantial burden of systemic lupus erythematosus on the productivity and careers of patients: a European patient-driven online survey. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2013;52:2292–301., , , , , , et al.
- 31Prevalence and correlates of perceived unmet needs of people with systemic lupus erythematosus. Patient Educ Couns 2005;57:30–8., , , .
- 32Musculoskeletal features in systemic lupus erythematosus and their relationship with disability. J Clin Rheumatol 1998;4:238–45., , , , .
- 33The incidence of systemic lupus erythematosus in Baltimore, Maryland, 1970–1977. Arthritis Rheum 1985;28:80–6..
- 34The Georgia Lupus Registry: the incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus [abstract].Arthritis Rheum 2011;63:S952., , , , , , et al.
- 35US patients of Hispanic and African ancestry develop lupus nephritis early in the disease course: data from LUMINA, a multiethnic US cohort (LUMINA LXXIV). Ann Rheum DIS 2011;70:393–4., , , , , .
- 36Systemic lupus erythematosus in a multiethnic cohort: LUMINA XXXV. Predictive factors of high disease activity over time. Ann Rheum Dis 2006;65:1168–74., , , , , , et al.