Dr. Fitzcharles has received consulting fees, speaking fees, and/or honoraria (less than $10,000 each) from Abbott, Amgen, Lilly, Pfizer, Purdue, and Valeant.
The Dilemma of Medical Marijuana Use by Rheumatology Patients
Article first published online: 27 MAY 2014
Copyright © 2014 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 66, Issue 6, pages 797–801, June 2014
How to Cite
Fitzcharles, M.-A., Clauw, D. J., Ste-Marie, P. A. and Shir, Y. (2014), The Dilemma of Medical Marijuana Use by Rheumatology Patients. Arthritis Care Res, 66: 797–801. doi: 10.1002/acr.22267
- Issue published online: 27 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 27 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 MAR 2014 07:30AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 SEP 2013
- 1Survey of Australians using cannabis for medical purposes. Harm Reduct J 2005;2:18., , .
- 2The medicinal use of cannabis in the UK: results of a nationwide survey. Int J Clin Pract 2005;59:291–5., , .
- 3Characteristics of patients with chronic pain accessing treatment with medical cannabis in Washington State. J Opioid Manag 2009;5:257–86., , , , , .
- 4Office of the Information Commissioner of Canada. Information request (ATI 2013-00282) under the Access to Information Act.2013.
- 5Medicinal use of cannabis: history and current status. Pain Res Manag 2001;6:80–91..
- 6Chemical constituents of marijuana: the complex mixture of natural cannabinoids. Life Sci 2005;78:539–48., .
- 7Cannabinoid pharmacology: the first 66 years. Br J Pharmacol 2006;147 Suppl:S163–71..
- 8Cannabinoid receptors and pain. Prog Neurobiol 2001;63:569–611..
- 9Smoked cannabis for chronic neuropathic pain: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ 2010;182:E694–701., , , , , , et al.
- 10Comparison of subjective, pharmacokinetic, and physiological effects of marijuana smoked as joints and blunts. Drug Alcohol Depend 2009;103:107–13., .
- 11Human cannabinoid pharmacokinetics. Chem Biodivers 2007;4:1770–804..
- 12Increasing Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ-9-THC) content in herbal cannabis over time: systematic review and meta-analysis. Curr Drug Abuse Rev 2012;5:32–40., , .
- 13Pharmacokinetics and metabolism of the plant cannabinoids, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol and cannabinol. Handb Exp Pharmacol 2005;168:657–90..
- 14New concepts in pain research and pain management of the rheumatic diseases. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2011;41:319–34., , .
- 15Clinical implications for cannabinoid use in the rheumatic diseases: potential for help or harm? [review].Arthritis Rheum 2012;64:2417–25., , , .
- 16Association of herbal cannabis use with negative psychosocial parameters in patients with fibromyalgia. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2012;64:1202–8., , , , .
- 17Cannabinoids for treatment of chronic non-cancer pain: a systematic review of randomized trials. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2011;72:735–44., .
- 18The effects of nabilone on sleep in fibromyalgia: results of a randomized controlled trial. Anesth Analg 2010;110:604–10., , , .
- 19Nabilone for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia. J Pain 2008;9:164–73., , , .
- 20Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2006;45:50–2., , , , .
- 22Acute cannabis consumption and motor vehicle collision risk: systematic review of observational studies and meta-analysis. BMJ 2012;344:e536., , .
- 23Alcohol and drugs in seriously injured drivers in six European countries. Drug Test Anal 2013;5:156–65., , , , , , et al.
- 24Canada Department of Justice, Acts, Regulations, and Health. Marihuana medical access regulations.2001. URL: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2001-227/FullText.html.
- 25Marijuana as a trigger of cardiovascular events: speculation or scientific certainty?Int J Cardiol 2007;118:141–4., .
- 26Effect of marihuana and placebo-marihuana smoking on angina pectoris. N Engl J Med 1974;291:65–7., .
- 27Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 2001;103:2805–9., , , , .
- 28Adverse effects of cannabis on health: an update of the literature since 1996. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2004;28:849–63..
- 29Role of cannabis and endocannabinoids in the genesis of schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology 2009;206:531–49., , , , .
- 30Marijuana use and depression among adults: testing for causal associations. Addiction 2006;101:1463–72., , .
- 31Predicting the transition from frequent cannabis use to cannabis dependence: a three-year prospective study. Drug Alcohol Depend 2013;133:352–9., , , , , .
- 32Respiratory health effects of cannabis: position statement of the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand. Intern Med J 2003;33:310–3., .
- 33Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case-control study. Eur Respir J 2008;31:280–6., , , , , , et al.
- 34Marijuana use and risk of lung cancer: a 40-year cohort study. Cancer Causes Control 2013;24:1811–20., , .
- 35Colorado family physicians' attitudes toward medical marijuana. J Am Board Fam Med 2013;26:52–60., .
- 36Marijuana is not a prescription medicine [editorial].CMAJ 2013;185:369..
- 37Rheumatologists lack confidence in knowledge of cannabinoids in the management of rheumatic conditions: a needs assessment of Canadian rheumatologists [abstract].Arthritis Rheum 2013;65 Suppl:S49., , , , , , et al.