This work was completed when Yongqiang Wang was visiting Institute for Automatic Control and Complex Systems, University of Duisburg-Essen, Duisburg 47057, Germany.
Fault detection of networked control systems with packet based periodic communication
Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2008
Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing
Special Issue: Networked control systems tolerant to faults
Volume 23, Issue 8, pages 682–698, August 2009
How to Cite
Wang, Y., Ding, S. X., Ye, H., Wei, L., Zhang, P. and Wang, G. (2009), Fault detection of networked control systems with packet based periodic communication. Int. J. Adapt. Control Signal Process., 23: 682–698. doi: 10.1002/acs.1061
- Issue online: 16 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Received: 29 NOV 2007
- European Union. Grant Number: IST-004303 NeCST
- DFG. Grant Number: DI 773/10
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 60574085, 60736026, 60721003
- The 863 Program of China. Grant Number: 2006AA04Z428
- fault detection;
- networked control systems;
- limited communication;
- packet-based communication;
- periodic communication sequence
Fault detection of networked control systems (NCS) with communication constraints is discussed in this paper. A so-called packet-based periodic communication strategy is proposed and two kinds of optimal observer-based residual generators are designed. One residual generator is designed based on the lifted model of NCS, which generates residual signals every communication period. The other works at a faster rate, i.e. it generates residual signals every sampling period and is more suitable for prompt fault detection. Comparison with traditional periodic-communication-sequence-based scheduling strategy reveals superiority of this new communication strategy. Simulation results are also provided to illustrate effectiveness of the proposed method. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.