We would like to thank the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) for provision of synchrotron radiation facilities and Elodie Boller for assistance at beamline ID19. We thank Annemarie Martins for assistance in sample preparation, Gunthard Benecke for development of essential image analysis software, and Petra Leibner for technical assistance with the micromechanical setup. John Dunlop, Wolfgang Wagermaier, and Richard Weinkamer are greatly appreciated for their discussions and thoughtful comments. H. S. G., H. D. W., and P. F. acknowledge that funding for this work is provided through the German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development and the Max Planck Society. J. S. is supported by EU Marie Curie EST Fellowship on Biomimetic Systems, MEST-CT-2004-504465. Supporting Information is available online from Wiley InterScience or from the authors.
Tough Lessons From Bone: Extreme Mechanical Anisotropy at the Mesoscale†
Article first published online: 23 JUN 2008
Copyright © 2008 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
Advanced Functional Materials
Volume 18, Issue 13, pages 1905–1911, July 9, 2008
How to Cite
Seto, J., Gupta, H. S., Zaslansky, P., Wagner, H. D. and Fratzl, P. (2008), Tough Lessons From Bone: Extreme Mechanical Anisotropy at the Mesoscale. Adv. Funct. Mater., 18: 1905–1911. doi: 10.1002/adfm.200800214
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 23 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 11 FEB 2008
- German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development
- Max Planck Society
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!