We gratefully acknowledge Prof. R. J. Hamers and Wensha Yang for use and assistance with the hydrogen plasma system. We gratefully acknowledge X. Xiao and J. Wang for useful discussions and input on the seeding and growth process, Prof. S. Urquhart for guidance and access to the NEXAFS system, and Dr. Suresh Varagali of Diamond Innovations for the diamond single crystal. NEXAFS was performed at the UW Synchrotron Radiation Center (supported by NSF grant DMR 0084402). The PEEM experiments were performed using the Canadian Photoelectron emission microscope which was funded by a NSERC Major Installation grant. R. W. C. acknowledges support from the National Science Foundation CAREER Program, grant #CMS-0134571, and from the Department of Energy, grant #DE-FG02-02ER46016. Work at Argonne National Labs was supported by the US Department of Energy, BES-Materials Sciences, under Contract W-13-109-ENG-38. We acknowledge support from DARPA-DSO under grant #03000Z03258. Supporting Information is available online from Wiley InterScience or from the author.
Toward the Ultimate Tribological Interface: Surface Chemistry and Nanotribology of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond†
Article first published online: 7 APR 2005
Copyright © 2005 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
Volume 17, Issue 8, pages 1039–1045, April, 2005
How to Cite
Sumant, A. V., Grierson, D. S., Gerbi, J. E., Birrell, J., Lanke, U. D., Auciello, O., Carlisle, J. A. and Carpick, R. W. (2005), Toward the Ultimate Tribological Interface: Surface Chemistry and Nanotribology of Ultrananocrystalline Diamond. Adv. Mater., 17: 1039–1045. doi: 10.1002/adma.200401264
- Issue published online: 7 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 7 APR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Received: 3 AUG 2004
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!