This work was supported by the U.S. National Science Foundation under the IGERT program, grant no 0221678.
Self-Assembly of Pseudoperiodic Arrays of Nanoislands on YSZ-(001)†
Article first published online: 9 APR 2008
Copyright © 2008 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
Volume 20, Issue 9, pages 1699–1705, May 5, 2008
How to Cite
Rauscher, M. D., Boyne, A., Dregia, S. A. and Akbar, S. A. (2008), Self-Assembly of Pseudoperiodic Arrays of Nanoislands on YSZ-(001). Adv. Mater., 20: 1699–1705. doi: 10.1002/adma.200701383
- Issue published online: 5 MAY 2008
- Article first published online: 9 APR 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Received: 8 JUN 2007
- U.S. National Science Foundation under the IGERT program. Grant Number: no 0221678
- inorganic nanostructures;
- surface patterning;
A planar film of gadolinia-doped ceria (GDC) was deposited on the (100) surface of an yttria stabilized zirconia (YSZ) single crystal substrate. Upon annealing, the film breaks up into an array of nanoislands (see figure) due to stress driven instability, providing an inexpensive route to the formation of ordered nanoarrays.