These authors contributed equally to this work.
3D Soft Metamaterials with Negative Poisson's Ratio
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
© 2013 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
Volume 25, Issue 36, pages 5044–5049, September 25, 2013
How to Cite
Babaee, S., Shim, J., Weaver, J. C., Chen, E. R., Patel, N. and Bertoldi, K. (2013), 3D Soft Metamaterials with Negative Poisson's Ratio. Adv. Mater., 25: 5044–5049. doi: 10.1002/adma.201301986
- Issue published online: 24 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAY 2013
- Harvard MRSEC. Grant Number: DMR-0820484
- NSF. Grant Number: CMMI-1149456
- Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- large strain;
Buckling is exploited to design a new class of three-dimensional metamaterials with negative Poisson's ratio. A library of auxetic building blocks is identified and procedures are defined to guide their selection and assembly. The auxetic properties of these materials are demonstrated both through experiments and finite element simulations and exhibit excellent qualitative and quantitative agreement.