Mixing in a jet-stirred reactor

Authors


Abstract

Measurements were made of the over-all mixing in a gas phase flow reactor stirred by the entering feed jets. The mixing was studied by following the decrease in exit concentration after sharp cutoff of a radioactive tracer gas krypton −85. The data showed that over the entire range of average residence times investigated, about 0.4 to 16 sec., the reactor behaved as though 85% of its volume was perfectly stirred and the remaining 15% was in piston flow in series with the stirred region. Relocation of the feed jets would probably increase the fraction of volume that is effectively perfectly stirred to about 95%.

Ancillary