Conflict of Interest: Dr. Wood, Dr. Coates, and Dr. Harmatz have research funding from Novartis and had received speakers honoraria from Novartis and Apotex.
Patterns of hepatic iron distribution in patients with chronically transfused thalassemia and sickle cell disease†
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 8, pages 480–483, August 2009
How to Cite
Ghugre, N. R., Gonzalez-Gomez, I., Butensky, E., Noetzli, L., Fischer, R., Williams, R., Harmatz, P., Coates, T. D. and Wood, J. C. (2009), Patterns of hepatic iron distribution in patients with chronically transfused thalassemia and sickle cell disease. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 480–483. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21456
- Issue published online: 24 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 18 MAY 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 12 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 20 OCT 2008
- National Institutes of Health (General Clinical Research Center). Grant Number: RR00043-43
- Pediatric Clinical Research Center at the Children's Hospital & Research Center, Oakland. Grant Number: M01 RR01271
- Center for Disease Control (Thalassemia Center). Grant Number: U27/CCU922106
- Department of Pediatrics at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA)
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 1 R01 HL75592-01A1
- National Institute for Diabetes, Digestion, and Kidney Disease. Grant Number: R01 DK057778
- Saban Research Institute at CHLA
- 1Circumstances of death in adult sickle cell disease patients. Am J Hematol 2006; 81: 858–863., , , et al.
- 2Pathologic findings in 76 autopsy cases of thalassemia. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 1988; 23: 157–176., , .
- 3Progression of iron overload in sickle cell disease. Semin Hematol 2001; 38: 57–62..
- 4Mechanisms of iron loading and toxicity. Am J Hematol 2007; 82: 1128–1131..
- 5Concepts and goals in the management of transfusional iron overload. Am J Hematol 2007; 82: 1136–1139..
- 6Comparison of organ dysfunction in transfused patients with SCD or beta thalassemia. Am J Hematol 2005; 80: 70–74., , , et al.
- 7Oxidative stress and inflammation in iron-overloaded patients with beta-thalassaemia or sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol 2006; 135: 254–263., , , et al.
- 8Increased prevalence of iron-overload associated endocrinopathy in thalassaemia versus sickle-cell disease. Br J Haematol 2006; 135: 574–582., , , et al.
- 9Molecular pathogenesis of anemia of chronic disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2006; 46: 554–557..
- 10Redistribution of accumulated cell iron: A modality of chelation with therapeutic implications. Blood 2008; 111: 1690–1699., , , et al.
- 11The effects of erythropoetic activity and iron burden on hepcidin expression in patients with thalassemia major. Haematologica 2006; 91: 809–812., , , et al.
- 12Urinary hepcidin in congenital chronic anemias. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2007; 48: 57–63., , , et al.
- 13Non-transferrin-bound iron and hepatic dysfunction in African dietary iron overload. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1999; 14: 126–132., , , et al.
- 14Severity of iron overload in patients with sickle cell disease receiving chronic red blood cell transfusion therapy. Blood 2000; 96: 76–79., , , et al.
- 15Disparity in the management of iron overload between patients with sickle cell disease and thalassemia who received transfusions. Transfusion 2008; 48: 1971–1980., , , et al.
- 16Magnetic resonance detection of kidney iron deposition in sickle cell disease: A marker of chronic hemolysis. J Magn Reson Imaging 2008; 28: 698–704., , , et al.
- 17Morbidity and mortality in chronically transfused subjects with thalassemia and sickle cell disease: A report from the multi-center study of iron overload. Am J Hematol 2007; 82: 255–265., , , et al.
- 18Myocardial iron loading in transfusion-dependent thalassemia and sickle-cell disease. Blood 2004; 103: 1934–1936., , , et al.
- 19Hepatitis C virus-induced reactive oxygen species raise hepatic iron level in mice by reducing hepcidin transcription. Gastroenterology 2008; 134: 226–238., , , et al.
- 20Upregulation of transferrin receptor 2 and ferroportin 1 mRNA in the liver of patients with chronic hepatitis C. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 20: 562–569., , , et al.
- 21Hepcidin expression in the liver: Relatively low level in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Mol Med 2007; 13: 97–104., , , et al.
- 22Clinical manifestations and therapy of transfusional haemosiderosis. Baillieres Clin Haematol 1994; 7: 919–940., .
- 23Influence of iron chelation therapy on R1 and R2 calibration curves in gerbil liver and heart. Magn Reson Med 2008; 60: 82–89., , , et al.
- 24Deferasirox and deferiprone remove cardiac iron in the iron-overloaded gerbil. Transl Res 2006; 148: 272–280., , , et al.
- 25Variability in hepatic iron concentration in percutaneous needle biopsy specimens from patients with transfusional hemosiderosis. Am J Clin Pathol 2005; 123: 146–152., , , et al.
- 26Liver pathology in genetic hemochromatosis: A review of 135 homozygous cases and their bioclinical correlations. Gastroenterology 1992; 102: 2050–2059., , , et al.