Conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
Test of the Month
Technical aspects and clinical applications of measuring BCR-ABL1 transcripts number in chronic myeloid leukemia†
Version of Record online: 19 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 8, pages 517–522, August 2009
How to Cite
Foroni, L., Gerrard, G., Nna, E., Khorashad, J. S., Stevens, D., Swale, B., Milojkovic, D., Reid, A., Goldman, J. and Marin, D. (2009), Technical aspects and clinical applications of measuring BCR-ABL1 transcripts number in chronic myeloid leukemia. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 517–522. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21457
- Issue online: 24 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 MAY 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 MAY 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2009
- 1A minute chromosome in human chronic granulocytic leukemia. Science 1960; 132: 1497–1501., .
- 2Identification of a translocation with quinacrine fluorescence in a patient with acute leukemia. Ann Genet 1973; 16: 109–112..
- 3Fused transcript of abl and bcr genes in chronic myelogenous leukaemia. Nature 1985; 315: 550–554., , , .
- 4Chronic myeloid leukaemia as a model of disease evolution in human cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2007; 7: 441–453., .
- 5Autocrine production and action of IL-3 and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in chronic myeloid leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999; 96: 12804–12809., , , et al.
- 6Clinical significance of the BCR-ABL fusion gene in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A cancer and leukemia group B study (8762). Blood 1992; 80: 2983–2990., , , et al.
- 7The diversity of BCR-ABL fusion proteins and their relationship to leukemia phenotype. Blood 1996; 88: 2375–2384..
- 8A novel BCR-ABL fusion gene (e6a2) in a patient with Philadelphia chromosome-negative chronic myelogenous leukemia. Blood 1996; 88: 2236–2240., , , et al.
- 9Correlation of BCR/ABL transcript variants with patients' characteristics in childhood chronic myeloid leukaemia. Eur J Haematol 2009; 82: 112–118., , , et al.
- 10Neutrophilic-chronic myeloid leukemia: A distinct disease with a specific molecular marker (BCR/ABL with C3/A2 junction). Blood 1996; 88: 2410–2414., , , et al.
- 11Effects of a selective inhibitor of the Abl tyrosine kinase on the growth of Bcr-Abl positive cells. Nat Med 1996; 2: 561–566., , , et al.
- 12Efficacy and safety of a specific inhibitor of the BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase in chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med 2001; 344: 1031–1037., , , et al.
- 13In vitro activity of BCR-ABL inhibitors AMN107 and BMS-354825 against clinically relevant imatinib-resistant Abl kinase domain mutants. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 4500–4505., , , et al.
- 14Single step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocynate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 1987; 162: 156–159., .
- 15Standardization and quality control studies of ‘real-time’ quantitative reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction of fusion gene transcripts for residual disease detection in leukemia—A Europe against cancer program. Leukemia 2003; 17: 2318–2357., , , et al.
- 16Competitive polymerase chain reaction to estimate the number of BCR-ABL transcripts in chronic myeloid leukemia patients after bone marrow transplantation. Blood 1993; 82: 1929–1936., , , et al.
- 17Multiplex PCR of bcr-abl fusion transcripts in Philadelphia positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. PCR Methods Appl 1995; 4: 283–287., , , .
- 18A multiplex PCR for improved detection of typical and atypical BCR-ABL fusion transcripts. Leuk Res 2008; 32: 579–585., .
- 19Diagnosis of chronic myeloid and acute lymphocytic leukemias by detection of leukemia-specific mRNA sequences amplified in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1988; 85: 5698–5702., , , et al.
- 20Development of an integrated assay for detection of BCR-ABL RNA. Clin Chem 2007; 53: 1593–1600., , , et al.
- 21Frequency of major molecular responses to imatinib or interferon alfa plus cytarabine in newly diagnosed chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 1423–1432., , , et al.
- 22Desirable performance characteristics for BCR-ABL measurement on an international reporting scale to allow consistent interpretation of individual patient response and comparison of response rates between clinical trials. Blood 2008; 112: 3330–3338., , , et al.
- 23International standardisation of quantitative real-time RT-PCR for BCR-ABL. Leuk Res 2008; 32: 505–506., , , .
- 24Early reduction of BCR-ABL mRNA transcript levels predicts cytogenetic response in chronic phase CML patients treated with imatinib after failure of interferon alpha. Leukemia 2002; 16: 1579–1583., , , et al.
- 25Monitoring patients in complete cytogenetic remission after treatment of CML in chronic phase with imatinib: Patterns of residual leukaemia and prognostic factors for cytogenetic relapse. Leukemia 2005; 19: 507–512., , , et al.
- 26European LeukemiaNet criteria for failure or suboptimal response reliably identify patients with CML in early chronic phase treated with imatinib whose eventual outcome is poor. Blood 2008; 112: 4437–4444., , , et al.
- 27Imatinib for newly diagnosed patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: Incidence of sustained responses in an intention-to-treat analysis. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 3308–3309., , , et al.
- 28Delayed achievement of cytogenetic and molecular response is associated with increased risk of progression among patients with chronic myelogenous leukemia in early chronic phase receiving high-dose or standard-dose imatinib therapy. Blood, in press., , , et al.
- 29Suboptimal response to or failure of imatinib treatment for chronic myeloid leukemia: What is the optimal strategy? Mayo Clin Proc 2009; 84: 161–169., , .
- 30Long-term outcome of complete cytogenetic responders after imatinib 400 mg in late chronic phase, Philadelphia-positive chronic myeloid leukemia: The GIMEMA Working Party on CML. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 106–111., , , et al.
- 31Does a rise in the BCR-ABL1 transcript level identify chronic phase CML patients responding to imatinib who have a high risk of cytogenetic relapse? Br J Haematol 2009; 145: 373–375., , , et al.
- 32Serial measurement of BCR-ABL1 transcripts in the peripheral blood after allogeneic stem cell transplantation for chronic myeloid leukemia: An attempt to define patients who may not require further therapy. Blood 2006; 107: 4171–4176., , , et al.
- 33Finding of kinase domain mutations in patients with chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia responding to imatinib may identify those at high risk of disease progression. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 4806–4813., , , et al.
- 34First-line therapy for chronic myeloid leukemia: Past, present, and future. Am J Hematol 2009; 84: 287–293., , .
- 35In vivo kinetics of kinase domain mutations in CML patients treated with dasatinib after failing imatinib. Blood 2008; 111: 2378–2381., , , et al.
- 36Denaturing-HPLC-based assay for detection of ABL mutations in chronic myeloid leukemia patients resistant to Imatinib. Clin Chem 2004; 50: 1205–1213., , , et al.
- 37ABL mutations in late chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia patients with up-front cytogenetic resistance to imatinib are associated with a greater likelihood of progression to blast crisis and shorter survival: A study by the GIMEMA Working Party on Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 4100–4109., , , et al.