Conflict of interest: R. Vij was an investigator in this study.
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 10, pages 650–656, October 2009
How to Cite
Vij, R., Horvath, N., Spencer, A., Taylor, K., Vadhan-Raj, S., Vescio, R., Smith, J., Qian, Y., Yeh, H. and Jun, S. (2009), An open-label, phase 2 trial of denosumab in the treatment of relapsed or plateau-phase multiple myeloma. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 650–656. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21509
Disclosures: R. Vij, MD; A. Spencer, MBBS, FRACP, FRCPA, DM; K. Taylor, MD; and R. Vescio, MD were investigators in this study and have no other relevant conflicts of interest to disclose. S. Vadhan-Raj, MD has received research funding from Amgen Inc. for clinical studies and an honorarium as a speaker for Amgen Inc. N. Horvath, MD received research funding from Amgen Inc. and was an investigator in this study. J. Smith, BA, Y.Qian, PhD, S. Jun, MD, and H. Yeh, MD are Amgen Inc. employees and have received stocks/stock options from Amgen Inc.
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2009
- Amgen Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA
- 1RiesLAG, MelbertD, KrapchoM, et al., editors. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2005. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2007. Available at: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2005/. Accessed on March 3, 2009.
- 2Soluble receptor activator of nuclear factor kappaB ligand-osteoprotegerin ratio predicts survival in multiple myeloma: Proposal for a novel prognostic index. Blood 2003; 102: 1064–1069., , , et al.
- 3Myeloma interacts with the bone marrow microenvironment to induce osteoclastogenesis and is dependent on osteoclast activity. Br J Haematol 2002; 116: 278–290., , , et al.
- 4Multiple myeloma disrupts the TRANCE/osteoprotegerin cytokine axis to trigger bone destruction and promote tumor progression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98: 11581–11586., , , et al.
- 5Cancer and the microenvironment: Myeloma-osteoclast interactions as a model. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 2016–2023., , , et al.
- 6TRANCE is necessary and sufficient for osteoblast-mediated activation of bone resorption in osteoclasts. J Exp Med 1998; 188: 997–1001., , , et al.
- 7Osteoprotegerin ligand modulates murine osteoclast survival in vitro and in vivo. Am J Pathol 2000; 157: 435–448., , , et al.
- 8Osteoprotegerin ligand is a cytokine that regulates osteoclast differentiation and activation. Cell 1998; 93: 165–176., , , et al.
- 9RANK (receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB) and RANKL expression in multiple myeloma. Br J Haematol 2002; 117: 86–92., , , et al.
- 10Myeloma cells induce imbalance in the osteoprotegerin/osteoprotegerin ligand system in the human bone marrow environment. Blood 2001; 98: 3527–3533., , , et al.
- 11Human myeloma cells stimulate the receptor activator of nuclear factor-B ligand (RANKL) in T lymphocytes: A potential role in multiple myeloma bone disease. Blood 2002; 100: 4615–4621., , , et al.
- 12Expression of receptor activator of nuclear factor kappaB ligand on bone marrow plasma cells correlates with osteolytic bone disease in patients with multiple myeloma. Clin Cancer Res 2003; 9: 1436–1440., , , et al.
- 13Interpreting the molecular biology and clinical behavior of multiple myeloma in the context of global gene expression profiling. Immunol Rev 2003; 194: 140–163., .
- 14A phase I study of AMGN-0007, a recombinant osteoprotegerin construct, in patients with multiple myeloma or breast carcinoma related bone metastases. Cancer 2003; 97: 887–892., , , et al.
- 15Osteoprotegerin inhibits the development of osteolytic bone disease in multiple myeloma. Blood 2001; 98: 3534–3540., , , et al.
- 16Recombinant osteoprotegerin decreases tumor burden and increases survival in a murine model of multiple myeloma. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 287–289., , , et al.
- 17A study of the biological receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB ligand inhibitor, denosumab, in patients with multiple myeloma or bone metastases from breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 1221–1228., , , et al.
- 18Randomized active-controlled phase II study of denosumab efficacy and safety in patients with breast cancer related bone metastases. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 4431–4437., , , et al.
- 19Bone turnover markers as predictors of skeletal complications in prostate cancer, lung cancer, and other solid tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 59–69., , , et al.
- 20Bone resorption predicts for skeletal complications in metastatic bone disease. Br J Cancer 2003; 89: 2031–2037., , , et al.
- 21Extended efficacy and safety of denosumab in breast cancer patients with bone metastases not receiving prior bisphosphonate therapy. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 6690–6696., , , et al.
- 22Role of the tumor microenvironment in mediating de novo resistance to drugs and physiological mediators of cell death. Oncogene 2003; 22: 7396–7402., , .
- 23Bone marrow stromal-derived soluble factors and direct cell contact contribute to de novo drug resistance of myeloma cells by distinct mechanisms. Leukemia 2003; 17: 1175–1182., , .
- 24The measurement of pain from metastatic bone disease: Capturing the patient's experience. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 6236s–6242s..
- 25When is cancer pain mild, moderate or severe? Grading pain severity by its interference with function. Pain 1995; 61: 277–284., , , et al.
- 26The functional assessment of cancer therapy (FACT) scale: Development and validation of the general measure. J Clin Oncol 1993; 11: 570–579., , , et al.
- 27EuroQol: The current state of play. Health Policy 1996; 37: 53–72..
- 28Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions. New Jersey: Wiley; 1981., , .