Conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
Repeated courses of rituximab in chronic ITP: Three different regimens†
Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 10, pages 661–665, October 2009
How to Cite
Hasan, A., Michel, M., Patel, V., Stasi, R., Cunningham-Rundles, S., Leonard, J. P. and Bussel, J. (2009), Repeated courses of rituximab in chronic ITP: Three different regimens. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 661–665. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21512
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 JUL 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2009
- NIH [Novel Therapies in Hemostasis and Transfusion Medicine (JBB)]. Grant Number: 1U01 HL72196-01-05
- 1Autoimmune (idiopathic) thrombocytopenic purpura. Lancet 1997; 349: 1531–1536..
- 2Immune thrombocytopenic purpura. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 995–1008., .
- 3Pathophysiology of immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood Rev 2002; 16: 13–14..
- 4Immune pathophysiology of autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood Rev 2002; 16: 9–12..
- 5Immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) plasma and purified ITP monoclonal autoantibodies inhibit megakaryocytopoiesis in vitro. Blood 2003; 102: 887–895., , , et al.
- 6Suppression of in vitro megakaryocyte production by antiplatelet autoantibodies from adult patients with chronic ITP. Blood 2004; 103: 1364–1369., , , et al.
- 7Long-term observation of 208 adults with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Med 1995; 98: 436–442., , , et al.
- 8The bleeding risk and natural history of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in patients with persistent low platelet counts. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160: 1630–1638., , , .
- 9Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: A practice guideline developed by explicit methods for the American society of hematology. Blood 1996; 88: 3–40., , , et al.
- 10The American Society of Hematology ITP Practice Guideline Panel. Diagnosis and treatment of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Recommendations of the American society of hematology. Ann Intern Med 1997; 126: 319–326.
- 11Efficacy and safety of splenectomy in immune thrombocytopenic purpura: Long-term results of 402 cases. Haematologica 2005; 90: 72–77., , , et al.
- 12Efficacy and safety of splenectomy in adult chronic immune thrombocytopenia. Ann Hematol 2003; 82: 290–294., , , et al.
- 13Prolonged clinical and molecular remission in patients with low-grade or follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma treated with rituximab plus CHOP chemotherapy: 9-year follow-up. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 4711–4716., , , et al.
- 14CVP chemotherapy plus rituximab compared with CVP as first-line treatment for advanced follicular lymphoma. Blood 2005; 105: 1417–1423., , , et al.
- 15Introduction of combined CHOP plus rituximab therapy dramatically improved outcome of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in British Columbia. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 5027–5033., , , et al.
- 16Rituximab dose-escalation trial in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 2165–2170., , , et al.
- 17Rituximab (monoclonal anti-CD20 antibody): Mechanisms of action and resistance. Oncogene 2003; 22: 7359–7368..
- 18Rituximab: Expanding role in therapy for lymphomas and autoimmune diseases. Annu Rev Med 2004; 55: 477–503., , .
- 19Rituximab chimeric anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody treatment for adults with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2001; 98: 952–957., , , .
- 20A pilot study of the anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody rituximab in patients with refractory immune thrombocytopenia. Semin Oncol 2000; 27: 99–103., , , et al.
- 21The efficacy and safety of B-cell depletion with anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody in adults with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 2004; 125: 232–239., , , et al.
- 22Prospective phase 1/2 study of rituximab in childhood and adolescent chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2006; 107: 2639–2642., , , et al.
- 23Rituximab chimeric anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody treatment for adult refractory idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Hematol 2005; 78: 275–280., , , et al.
- 24Rituximab therapy for chronic and refractory immune thrombocytopenic purpura: A long-term follow-up analysis. Ann Hematol 2007; 86: 871–877., , , et al.
- 25Rituximab in the management of chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: An effective and safe therapeutic alternative in refractory patients. Ann Hematol 2006; 85: 400–406., , , et al.
- 26Rituximab efficacy and safety in adult splenectomy candidates with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: Results of a prospective multicenter phase 2 study. Blood 2008; 112: 999–1004., , , et al.
- 27Long term follow-up of patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) whose initial response to rituximab lasted a minimum of 1 Year. Blood 2006; 108: 1062., , , et al.
- 28Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy after rituximab therapy in HIV-negative patients: A report of 57 cases from the research on adverse drug events and reports project. Blood 2009; 113: 4834–4840., , , et al.
- 29Lower dose rituximab is active in adults patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Haematologica 2008; 93: 930–933., , , et al.
- 30Abbreviated dose rituximab for immune-mediated hematological disorders. Am J Hematol 2008; 83: 554–557., , .
- 31Long-term outcomes after treatment for refractory immune thrombocytopenic purpura. N Engl J Med 2001; 344: 1402–1403..
- 32Pulse cyclophosphamide therapy for refractory autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 1995; 85: 351–358., , .
- 33The role of autoantibody-producing plasma cells in immune thrombocytopenic purpura refractory to rituximab. Am J Hematol 2007; 82: 846–848., , .
- 34Response to B-cell depleting therapy with rituximab reverts the abnormalities of T-cell subsets in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2007; 110: 2924–2930., , , et al.
- 35Analysis of regulatory T cell changes in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura receiving B-cell depleting therapy with rituximab. Blood 2008; 112: 1147–1150., , , et al.
- 36Increased cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-mediated cytotoxicity predominant in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura without platelet autoantibodies. Haematologica 2008; 93: 1428–1430., , , , et al.
- 37T-cell-mediated cytotoxicity toward platelets in chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Nat Med 2003; 9: 1123–1124., , , et al.
- 38Maximizing therapeutic benefit of rituximab: Maintenance therapy versus re-treatment at progression in patients with indolent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma—A randomized phase II trial of the Minnie Pearl Cancer Research Network. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 1088–1095., , , et al.