Conflict of Interest: Nothing to report.
Identification of molecular targets associated with transformed diffuse large B cell lymphoma using highly purified tumor cells†
Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 12, pages 803–808, December 2009
How to Cite
Andréasson, U., Dictor, M., Jerkeman, M., Berglund, M., Sundström, C., Linderoth, J., Rosenquist, R., Borrebaeck, C. A. K. and Ek, S. (2009), Identification of molecular targets associated with transformed diffuse large B cell lymphoma using highly purified tumor cells. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 803–808. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21549
- Issue online: 23 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 SEP 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 2 SEP 2009
- Lund Institute of Technology (LTH)
- Bioinvent International AB
- CREATE Health, a strategic Center for Translational Cancer Research (www.createhealth.se)
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Grant Number: 6085-06
- 1New approach to classifying non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: Clinical features of the major histologic subtypes. Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Classification Project. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16: 2780–2795., .
- 2Follicular lymphoma: Have we made any progress? Ann Oncol 2000; 11( suppl 1): 23–27..
- 3Is t(14;18)(q32;q21) a constant finding in follicular lymphoma? An interphase FISH study on 63 patients. Leukemia 2003; 17: 255–259., , , , et al.
- 4Variation in gene expression patterns in follicular lymphoma and the response to rituximab. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100: 1926–1930., , , , et al.
- 5Rituximab therapy in malignant lymphoma. Oncogene 2007; 26: 3603–3613..
- 6CVP chemotherapy plus rituximab compared with CVP as first-line treatment for advanced follicular lymphoma. Blood 2005; 105: 1417–1423., , , , et al.
- 7Histologic conversion in the non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. J Clin Oncol 1983; 1: 11–16., , , , et al.
- 8Incidence, predictive factors, and outcome of lymphoma transformation in follicular lymphoma patients. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 1587–1594., , , , et al.
- 9The natural history of initially untreated low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. N Engl J Med 1984; 311: 1471–1475., .
- 10Higher grade transformation of follicular lymphoma: Phenotypic tumor progression associated with diverse genetic lesions. Semin Cancer Biol 2003; 13: 191–202., .
- 11p53 mutations are associated with histologic transformation of follicular lymphoma. Blood 1993; 82: 2289–2295., , , , et al.
- 12MYC rearrangements in histologically progressed follicular lymphomas. Blood 1992; 80: 758–767., , , .
- 13Transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma proceeds by distinct oncogenic mechanisms. Br J Haematol 2007; 136: 286–293., , , , et al.
- 14BCL-6 mRNA expression in higher grade transformation of follicle center lymphoma: Correlation with somatic mutations in the 5′ regulatory region of the BCL-6 gene. Leukemia 2002; 16: 1857–1862., , .
- 15Homozygous deletions at chromosome 9p21 involving p16 and p15 are associated with histologic progression in follicle center lymphoma. Blood 1998; 91: 4677–4685., , , , et al.
- 16p16(INK4a) gene inactivation by deletions, mutations, and hypermethylation is associated with transformed and aggressive variants of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Blood 1998; 91: 2977–2984., , , , et al.
- 17The use of real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction and comparative genomic hybridization to identify amplification of the REL gene in follicular lymphoma. Br J Haematol 2000; 111: 618–625., , , , et al.
- 18Prediction of survival in follicular lymphoma based on molecular features of tumor-infiltrating immune cells. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2159–2169., , , , et al.
- 19Gene expression profiling in follicular lymphoma to assess clinical aggressiveness and to guide the choice of treatment. Blood 2005; 105: 301–307., , , , et al.
- 20Transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large-cell lymphoma: Alternative patterns with increased or decreased expression of c-myc and its regulated genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99: 8886–8891., , , , et al.
- 21Gene expression profile of serial samples of transformed B-cell lymphomas. Lab Invest 2003; 83: 271–285., , , , et al.
- 22Distinct types of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma identified by gene expression profiling. Nature 2000; 403: 503–511., , , , et al.
- 23Confirmation of the molecular classification of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by immunohistochemistry using a tissue microarray. Blood 2004; 103: 275–282., , , , et al.
- 24A gene expression-based method to diagnose clinically distinct subgroups of diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100: 9991–9996., , , , et al.
- 25WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, 4th ed. Lyon: IARC Press; 2008., , , , et al.
- 26B cell lymphomas express CX3CR1 a non-B cell lineage adhesion molecule. Cancer Lett 2008; 259: 138–145., , , , et al.
- 27Genes associated with the tumour microenvironment are differentially expressed in cured versus primary chemotherapy-refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Br J Haematol 2008; 141: 423–432., , , , et al.
- 28Impact of the tumor microenvironment on prognosis in follicular lymphoma is dependent on specific treatment protocols. Haematologica 2009; 94: 70–77., , , , et al.
- 29Immunohistochemical patterns of reactive microenvironment are associated with clinicobiologic behavior in follicular lymphoma patients. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5350–5357., , , , et al.
- 30High numbers of tumor-infiltrating FOXP3-positive regulatory T cells are associated with improved overall survival in follicular lymphoma. Blood 2006; 108: 2957–2964., , , , et al.
- 31Analysis of multiple biomarkers shows that lymphoma-associated macrophage (LAM) content is an independent predictor of survival in follicular lymphoma (FL). Blood 2005; 106: 2169–2174., , , , et al.
- 32Gene-expression and immunohistochemical study of specific T-cell subsets and accessory cell types in the transformation and prognosis of follicular lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 390–398., , , , et al.
- 33Number of CD4+ cells and location of forkhead box protein P3-positive cells in diagnostic follicular lymphoma tissue microarrays correlates with outcome. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5052–5059., , , , et al.
- 34Molecular pathogenesis of follicular lymphoma: A cross talk of genetic and immunologic factors. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 6358–6363..
- 35Absence of cyclin-D2 and Bcl-2 expression within the germinal centre type of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma identifies a very good prognostic subgroup of patients. Histopathology 2007; 51: 70–79., , , , et al.
- 36Profiling of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by immunohistochemistry: Identification of prognostic subgroups. Eur J Haematol 2007; 79: 501–507., , , , et al.
- 37Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma outcome prediction by gene-expression profiling and supervised machine learning. Nat Med 2002; 8: 68–74., , , , et al.
- 38Molecular profiling of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma identifies robust subtypes including one characterized by host inflammatory response. Blood 2005; 105: 1851–1861., , , , et al.
- 39p53 mutation is associated with progression in follicular lymphomas. Blood 1993; 82: 1994–2004., , , , et al.
- 40A limited role for TP53 mutation in the transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Leukemia 2005; 19: 1459–1465., , , , et al.
- 41Transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large cell lymphoma is associated with a heterogeneous set of DNA copy number and gene expression alterations. Blood 2003; 101: 3109–3117., , , , et al.
- 42An anti-apoptotic role for galectin-3 in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas. Am J Pathol 2004; 164: 893–902., , , , et al.
- 43Increased serum 90K and Galectin-3 expression are associated with advanced stage and a worse prognosis in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas. Acta Haematol 2008; 120: 211–216., , , , et al.
- 44The centrosomal kinase Nek2 displays elevated levels of protein expression in human breast cancer. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 7370–7376., , , , et al.
- 45Alternative splice variants of the human centrosome kinase Nek2 exhibit distinct patterns of expression in mitosis. Biochem J 2002; 361: 77–85., .
- 46Nucleolar Nek11 is a novel target of Nek2A in G1/S-arrested cells. J Biol Chem 2004; 279: 32716–32727., , , .
- 47A centrosomal function for the human Nek2 protein kinase, a member of the NIMA family of cell cycle regulators. EMBO J 1998; 17: 470–481., , .
- 48Functional evidence that cell surface galectin-3 mediates homotypic cell adhesion. Cancer Res 1995; 55: 3267–3271., .
- 49Galectin-3 mediates genistein-induced G(2)/M arrest and inhibits apoptosis. Carcinogenesis 2000; 21: 1941–1945., , , .
- 50Galectin-3 protects human breast carcinoma cells against nitric oxide-induced apoptosis: Implication of galectin-3 function during metastasis. Am J Pathol 2001; 159: 1055–1060., , , , et al.
- 51Expression of galectin-3 modulates T-cell growth and apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93: 6737–6742., , .
- 52Galectin-3 translocates to the perinuclear membranes and inhibits cytochrome c release from the mitochondria. A role for synexin in galectin-3 translocation. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 15819–15827., , , .
- 53Galectin-3 regulates mitochondrial stability and antiapoptotic function in response to anticancer drug in prostate cancer. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 3114–3119., , , , et al.
- 54Constitutive nuclear factor kappaB activity is required for survival of activated B cell-like diffuse large B cell lymphoma cells. J Exp Med 2001; 194: 1861–1874., , , .
- 55Cooperative signaling through the signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 and nuclear factor-κB pathways in subtypes of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood 2008; 111: 3701–3713., , , , et al.
- 56Expression of galectin-3 in cells exposed to stress-roles of jun and NF-kappaB. Cell Physiol Biochem 2000; 10: 149–158., , .