Conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
Complementary and alternative medicine use among long-term lymphoma survivors: A pilot study†
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 12, pages 795–798, December 2009
How to Cite
Habermann, T. M., Thompson, C. A., LaPlant, B. R., Bauer, B. A., Janney, C. A., Clark, M. M., Rummans, T. A., Maurer, M. J., Sloan, J. A., Geyer, S. M. and Cerhan, J. R. (2009), Complementary and alternative medicine use among long-term lymphoma survivors: A pilot study. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 795–798. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21554
- Issue published online: 23 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 8 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 28 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 8 SEP 2009
- NCI. Grant Number: P50 CA97274
- Mayo Foundation
- 1Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults: United States, 2002. Adv Data 2004; 343: 1–19., , , .
- 2Use of complementary and alternative medicines by ambulatory patients. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 1004–1009., , .
- 3Use of complementary and alternative medicine by the adult membership of a large northern California health maintenance organization, 1999. J Ambul Care Manage 2004; 27: 12–24., .
- 4Utilization of complementary and alternative medicine by United States adults: Results from the 1999 national health interview survey. Med Care 2002; 40: 353–358., , .
- 5Complementary and alternative medicine use among health plan members. A cross-sectional survey. Eff Clin Pract 2002; 5: 17–22., , , .
- 6Trends in alternative medicine use in the United States, 1990–1997: Results of a follow-up national survey. JAMA 1998; 280: 1569–1575., , , et al.
- 7Use of complementary and alternative medicine for temporomandibular disorders. J Orofac Pain 2003; 17: 224–236., , , .
- 8Complementary and alternative medicine use and substitution for conventional therapy by HIV-infected patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2003; 33: 157–165., , , et al.
- 9Use of complementary and alternative medical therapies in patients with cardiovascular disease. Am Heart J 2003; 145: 806–812., , , et al.
- 10Use of complementary and alternative medicine among persons with diabetes mellitus: Results of a national survey. Am J Public Health 2002; 92: 1648–1652., , , .
- 11Use of complementary therapies, adherence, and quality of life in lung transplant recipients. Heart Lung 2001; 30: 258–268., , , et al.
- 12Use of alternative medicine by patients undergoing cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 120: 335–341., , , et al.
- 13Complementary/alternative medicine use in a comprehensive cancer center and the implications for oncology. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18: 2505–2514., , , et al.
- 14Prevalence of complementary and alternative medicine use in cancer patients. Oncology (Williston Park) 2001; 15: 1267–1272; discussion1272–1278,1283., .
- 15Ethnic differences in complementary and alternative medicine use among cancer patients. J Altern Complement Med 2000; 6: 531–538., , , .
- 16Use of complementary medicine by adult patients participating in cancer clinical trials. Oncol Nurs Forum 2000; 27: 623–630., , , et al.
- 17Use of complementary and alternative medicine in Hawaii cancer patients. Hawaii Med J 1999; 58: 49–51,54–55..
- 18Complementary therapy use among older cancer patients. Cancer Pract 1999; 7: 136–144., , , et al.
- 19The prevalence of complementary/alternative medicine in cancer: A systematic review. Cancer 1998; 83: 777–782., .
- 20Perceived cancer causes: Use of complementary and alternative therapy. Cancer Pract 2001; 9: 183–190., , , et al.
- 21Use of complementary/alternative medicine by breast cancer survivors in Ontario: Prevalence and perceptions. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18: 2515–2521., , , et al.
- 22Complementary and alternative medicine use by women after completion of allopathic treatment for breast cancer. Altern Ther Health Med 2004; 10: 52–57., .
- 23Use of complementary/alternative therapies by women with advanced-stage breast cancer. BMC Complement Altern Med 2002; 2: 8–14., , , et al.
- 24Complementary and alternative medicine use among women with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20: 34S–38S., , .
- 25Alternative therapies used by women with breast cancer in four ethnic populations. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000; 92: 42–47., , , et al.
- 26Use of alternative therapies among breast cancer outpatients compared with the general population. Altern Ther Health Med 1999; 5: 71–76., , .
- 27A population-based survey of complementary and alternative medicine use in men recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. Integr Cancer Ther 2003; 2: 212–216., , , et al.
- 28Use of complementary/alternative medicine by men diagnosed with prostate cancer: Prevalence and characteristics. Urology 2003; 62: 849–853., , , et al.
- 29Clinical, demographic and psychosocial correlates of complementary and alternative medicine use by men diagnosed with localized prostate cancer. J Urol 2003; 170: 166–169., , , et al.
- 30Attitudes and use of complementary medicine in men with prostate cancer. J Urol 2002; 168: 2505–2509., , , et al.
- 31Use of complementary health practices by prostate carcinoma patients undergoing radiation therapy. Cancer 2000; 88: 615–619., .
- 32Prevalence and patterns of the use of complementary therapies among prostate cancer patients: an epidemiological analysis. J Urol 1999; 161: 1521–1524., , , et al.
- 33Use of complementary and alternative medicine among women with gynecologic cancers. Gynecol Oncol 2002; 84: 363–367., , , et al.
- 34Self-concept, body image, and use of unconventional therapies in patients with gynaecological malignancies in the state of complete remission and recurrence. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1999; 82: 101–106., , , et al.
- 35Unconventional cancer therapy–survey of patients with gynaecological malignancy. Arch Gynecol Obstet 1996; 258: 81–88., , , et al.
- 36A comparison of complementary and alternative medicine use by gynecology and gynecologic oncology patients. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2001; 11: 205–209., , , et al.
- 37Use of micronutrients and alternative drugs by children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Med Pediatr Oncol 1997; 28: 205–208., .
- 38Patterns and perceptions of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) among leukaemia patients visiting haematology clinic of a north Indian tertiary care hospital. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2002; 11: 671–676., , , .
- 39Types of alternative medicine used by patients with breast, colon, or prostate cancer: Predictors, motives, and costs. J Altern Complement Med 2002; 8: 477–485., , , et al.
- 40Use of alternative therapies by patients undergoing surgery for nonmelanoma skin cancer. Dermatol Surg 2002; 28: 443–446., .
- 41Use of alternative medicine among patients with head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1999; 125: 573–579., , , et al.
- 42Patients with terminal cancer who use alternative therapies: Their beliefs and practices. Sociol Health Illn 1993; 15: 199–217., , , et al.
- 43Prevalence of complementary and alternative medicine use in cancer patients during treatment. Support Care Cancer 2005; 13: 806–811., , , et al.
- 44Health food store recommendations for breast cancer patients. Arch Fam Med 2000; 9: 692–699., .
- 45Evaluation of shark cartilage in patients with advanced cancer: A North Central Cancer Treatment Group trial. Cancer 2005; 104: 176–182., , , et al.
- 46“Herbal Ecstasy”: A case series of adverse reactions. NZ Med J 2000; 113: 315–317., , .
- 47Recurrent erythema nodosum associated with Echinacea herbal therapy. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001; 44: 298–299., .
- 48Pseudoallergic toxic reaction. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2000; 85: 269–271., .
- 49Alternative medicines toxicology: A review of selected agents. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 1999; 37: 709–713..
- 50Complementary therapies: Overview and state of the art. Cancer Nurs 1999; 22: 85–90..
- 51Cancer-related fatigue: Evolving concepts in evaluation and treatment. Cancer 2003; 98: 1786–1801., , , et al.
- 52Cancer fatigue: The way forward. Oncologist 2003; 8( Suppl 1): 27–30., .
- 53Anxiety in long-term cancer survivors influences the acceptability of planned discharge from follow-up. Psychooncology 1997; 6: 190–196., , , .
- 54Impacting quality of life for patients with advanced cancer with a structured multidisciplinary intervention: A randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 635–642., , , et al.