Conflict of Interest: Nothing to report.
Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 12, pages 852–854, December 2009
How to Cite
Garibaldi, B., Malani, R., Yeh, H.-C., Lipson, E., Michell, D., Bennett, M., Moliterno, A., McDevitt, M. A. and Kickler, T. S. (2009), Estimating platelet production in patients with HIV-related thrombocytopenia using the immature platelet fraction. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 852–854. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21559
Preliminary results of this work were presented in abstract form at the American Society of Hematology, December 2007.
- Issue online: 23 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Osler Fund for Scholarship, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University
- 1Lopinavir/ritonavir- and indinavir-induced thrombocytopenia in a patient with HIV infection. Int J Infect Dis 2004; 8: 315–316., , , .
- 2Human immunodeficiency virus infection and thrombotic microangiopathy. Semin Hematol 1997; 34: 117–125., .
- 3Thrombotic thrombocytopaenic purpura in HIV-infected patients. Int J STD AIDS 2005; 16: 538–542., , , et al.
- 4Role of molecular mimicry to HIV-1 peptides in HIV-1-related immunologic thrombocytopenia. Blood. 2005; 106: 572–576., , .
- 5Kinetic studies of the mechanism of thrombocytopenia in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. N Engl J Med 1992; 327: 1779–1784., , , et al.
- 6Indinavir-induced thrombocytopenia. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2003; 17: 103–104., , , et al.
- 7HIV-related thrombocytopenia. Blood Rev 2002; 16: 73–76..
- 8Reticulated platelets following acute blood loss. Br J Haematol 1969; 17: 225–229., .
- 9Flow cytometric analysis of thiazole orange uptake by platelets: A diagnostic aid in the evaluation of thrombocytopenic disorders. Blood 1990; 75: 116–121., .
- 10Reticulated platelets in the evaluation of thrombopoietic disorders. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1993; 117: 606–610., , , et al.
- 11The significance of platelets with increased RNA content (reticulated platelets). Am J Clin Pathol 1992; 98: 637–646., , , et al.
- 12Usefulness of fully automated measurement of reticulated platelets using whole blood. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2005; 11: 263–270., , , et al.
- 13A clinical evaluation of high fluorescent platelet fraction percentage in thrombocytopenia. Am J Clin Pathol 2006; 125: 282–287., , .
- 14Reagent characteristics in XE-2100 NRBC channel. Sysmex J Int 2000; 10: 41–46..
- 15Assessment of an immature platelet fraction (IPF) in peripheral thrombocytopenia. Br J Haematol 2004; 126: 93–99., , , et al.
- 16Automatic detection of immature platelets for decision making regarding platelet transfusion indications for pediatric patients. Transfus Apher Sci 2008; 38: 127–132., , , et al.
- 17Immature platelet fraction as a predictor of platelet recovery following hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation. Lab Hematol 2006; 12: 125–130., , , et al.
- 18Immature platelet fraction measurement: A future guide to platelet transfusion requirement after haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Transfus Med 2006; 16: 101–109., , , et al.
- 19Immature platelet fraction for prediction of platelet engraftment after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant 2007; 39: 501–507., , , et al.
- 20Contribution of platelet activation to plasma IL-18 concentrations in HIV-infected AIDS patients. AIDS 2006; 20: 1907–1909., , , et al.
- 21Enhanced activation of platelets with abnormal release of RANTES in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. FASEB J 1998; 12: 79–89., , , et al.
- 22Blood platelet abnormalities and pharmacological modulation of platelet reactivity in patients with diabetes mellitus. Pharmacol Rep 2005; 57: 42–58., , .
- 23Blood platelet reactivity and its pharmacological modulation in (people with) diabetes mellitus. Curr Pharm Des 2005; 11: 2331–2365..
- 24Possible mechanisms of the altered platelet volume distribution in type 2 diabetes: Does increased platelet activation contribute to platelet size heterogeneity? Platelets 1999; 10: 52–60., , , .
- 25Platelet counts differ by sex, ethnicity, and age in the United States. Ann Epidemiol 2006; 16: 123–130., .