Conflict of interest: Nothing to report
Cytoreductive therapy in 108 adults with systemic mastocytosis: Outcome analysis and response prediction during treatment with interferon-alpha, hydroxyurea, imatinib mesylate or 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine†
Article first published online: 9 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 84, Issue 12, pages 790–794, December 2009
How to Cite
Lim, K. H., Pardanani, A., Butterfield, J. H., Li, C.-Y. and Tefferi, A. (2009), Cytoreductive therapy in 108 adults with systemic mastocytosis: Outcome analysis and response prediction during treatment with interferon-alpha, hydroxyurea, imatinib mesylate or 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine. Am. J. Hematol., 84: 790–794. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21561
- Issue published online: 23 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 9 OCT 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 OCT 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 2 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Received: 20 AUG 2009
- 1Systemic mastocytosis: A concise clinical and laboratory review. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2007; 131: 784–791., , , et al.
- 2Urticaria pigmentosa: A review of 67 pediatric cases. Pediatr Dermatol 1994; 11: 102–106., , , et al.
- 3Comparison of mastocytosis with onset in children and adults. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2002; 16: 115–120., , , et al.
- 4Systemic mast cell disease. Analysis of 58 cases and literature review. Medicine (Baltimore). 1988; 67: 345–368., , , et al.
- 5Hematologic manifestations of systemic mast cell disease: A prospective study of laboratory and morphologic features and their relation to prognosis. Am J Med 1991; 91: 612–624., , , et al.
- 6Systemic mastocytosis in 342 consecutive adults. Blood 2009; 113: 5727–5736., , , et al.
- 7Somatic c-KIT activating mutation in urticaria pigmentosa and aggressive mastocytosis: Establishment of clonality in a human mast cell neoplasm. Nat Genet 1996; 12: 312–314., , , et al.
- 8Activating and dominant inactivating c-KIT catalytic domain mutations in distinct clinical forms of human mastocytosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999; 96: 1609–1614., , , et al.
- 9KIT mutation in mast cells and other bone marrow hematopoietic cell lineages in systemic mast cell disorders: A prospective study of the Spanish network on Mastocytosis (REMA) in a series of 113 patients. Blood 2006; 108: 2366–2372., , , et al.
- 10KIT and mastocytosis. Acta Haematol 2008; 119: 194–198., , .
- 11Classification and diagnosis of myeloproliferative neoplasms: The 2008 World Health Organization criteria and point-of-care diagnostic algorithms. Leukemia 2008; 22: 14–22., .
- 12Standards and standardization in mastocytosis: Consensus statements on diagnostics, treatment recommendations and response criteria. Eur J Clin Invest 2007; 37: 435–453., , , et al.
- 13Clinical, genetic, and therapeutic insights into systemic mast cell disease. Curr Opin Hematol 2004; 11: 58–64., .
- 14Treatment of adult systemic mastocytosis with interferon-α: Results of a multicentre phase II trial on 20 patients. Br J Haematol 2002; 119: 1090–1097., , , et al.
- 15Response to interferon α-2b in a patient with systemic mastocytosis. N Engl J Med 1992; 326: 619–623., , , et al.
- 16Response of severe systemic mastocytosis to interferon alpha. Br J Dermatol 1998; 138: 489–495..
- 17Response to therapy with interferon α-2b and prednisolone in aggressive systemic mastocytosis: Report of five cases and review of the literature. Leuk Res 2004; 28: 249–257., , , et al.
- 18Cladribine therapy for systemic mastocytosis. Blood 2003; 102: 4270–4276., , , et al.
- 19Treatment of systemic mast-cell disease with cladribine. N Engl J Med 2001; 344: 307–309., , , et al.
- 20Treatment of systemic mast cell disease with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine. Leuk Res 2004; 28: 127–131., , , et al.
- 21Imatinib for systemic mast-cell disease. Lancet 2003; 362: 535–536., , , et al.
- 22Imatinib mesylate in the treatment of systemic mastocytosis: A phase II trial. Cancer 2006; 107: 345–351., , , et al.
- 23Phase II study of imatinib mesylate as therapy for patients with systemic mastocytosis. Leuk Res 2009; 33: 1481–1484., , , et al.
- 24Mastocytosis (Mast Cell Disease). In: JaffeE, HarrisN, SteinH, VardimanJ, editors. WHO Classification of Tumours Pathology and Genetics Tumours of Haematopoetic and Lymphoid Tissues. Lyon: IARC Press; 2001. pp 291–302., , , et al.
- 25Introduction and overview of the classification of the myeloid neoplasms. In: SwerdlowSH CE, HarrisNL, JaffeES, PileriSA, SteinH, ThieleJ, VardimanJW, editors. WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, 4th ed. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2008. pp 18–30., , , et al.
- 26Frequent TET2 mutations in systemic mastocytosis: clinical, KITD816V and FIP1L1-PDGFRA correlates. Leukemia 2009; 23: 900–904., , , et al.
- 27TET2 mutations and their clinical correlates in polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia and myelofibrosis. Leukemia 2009; 23: 905–911., , , et al.
- 28Detection of mutant TET2 in myeloid malignancies other than myeloproliferative neoplasms: CMML, MDS, MDS/MPN and AML. Leukemia 2009; 23: 1343–1345., , , et al.
- 29FIP1L1-PDGFRA fusion: Prevalence and clinicopathologic correlates in 89 consecutive patients with moderate to severe eosinophilia. Blood 2004; 104: 3038–3045., , , et al.
- 30JAK2V617F mutation screening as part of the hypercoagulable work-up in the absence of splanchnic venous thrombosis or overt myeloproliferative neoplasm: Assessment of value in a series of 664 consecutive patients. Mayo Clin Proc 2008; 83: 457–459., , , et al.
- 31Effect of tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 on the kinase activity of wild-type and various mutated c-kit receptors found in mast cell neoplasms. Oncogene 2003; 22: 660–664., , , et al.
- 32A novel form of mastocytosis associated with a transmembrane c-kit mutation and response to imatinib. Blood 2004; 103: 3222–3225., , , et al.
- 33Effects of tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 on human mast cells bearing wild-type or mutated c-kit. Exp Hematol 2003; 31: 686–692., , , et al.
- 34Efficacy and safety of cladribine in adult systemic mastocytosis: A french multicenter study of 33 patients. ASH Annu Meeting Abstr 2004; 104: 661., , , et al.
- 35Cladribine therapy in a patient with an aleukemic subvariant of mast cell leukemia. Ann Hematol 2005; 84: 692–693., , , et al.
- 36Phase II study of dasatinib in Philadelphia chromosome-negative acute and chronic myeloid diseases, including systemic mastocytosis. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 3906–3915., , , et al.
- 37The kit tyrosine kinase inhibitor midostaurine (PKC412) exhibits a high response rate in aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM): Interim results of a phase II trial. ASH Annu Meeting Abstr 2007; 110: 3536., , , et al.