Data from shorter time periods than those described in this manuscript were presented at the 2008 HOPA/ISOPP conference, June 18–21, 2008, Anaheim, CA; and in abstract form at the 2008 Annual American Society of Clinical Oncology Meeting: JClinOncol 2008,26(Suppl):Abstract 20589.
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Hematology
Volume 85, Issue 11, pages 838–843, November 2010
How to Cite
Hess, G., Nordyke, R. J., Hill, J. and Hulnick, S. (2010), Effect of reimbursement changes on erythropoiesis-stimulating agent utilization and transfusions. Am. J. Hematol., 85: 838–843. doi: 10.1002/ajh.21837
Conflict of interest: Amgen funded the work described in this manuscript.
- Issue published online: 25 OCT 2010
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUN 2010
- 13Comparative effectiveness of epoetin and darbeopetin for managing anemia in patients undergoing cancer treatment. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Executive Summary, No. 3, May 2006. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2006. [AHRQ 06-EHC008-1.], , , et al.
- 15Hemoglobin (Hb) levels prior to blood transfusions in oncology patients receiving chemotherapy and erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs): Observational data from the dosing and outcomes study of erythropoiesis-stimulating therapies (D.O.S.E.) registry. Presented at the Community Oncology Conference Washington, DC, February 1–3, 2008., , , et al.
- 16Clinical and patient-reported outcomes based on achieved hemoglobin levels in chemotherapy-treated cancer patients receiving erythropoiesis-stimulating agents. Community Oncol 2009; 6: 403–408., , , et al.
- 17Hematologic and transfusion outcomes following implementation of the erythropoiesis-stimulating agent (ESA) National Coverage Determination (NCD) in Medicare cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26(Suppl):abstract 6548., , , et al.
- 18Practice Guidelines for Blood Transfusion: A CompilationFromRecent Peer-Reviewed Literature, 2nd ed. Available at: www.redcross.org.Accessed September 2008., , , et al.
- 22Guidelines for supportive care: Cancer and treatment-related anemia: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. ed. v. 2.2004..
- 23Amgen Inc. Amgen announces interim results of Aranesp® “PREPARE” study in breast cancer patients, Vol. 2007. Available at: http://www.amgen.com/media/media_pr_detail.jsp?year=2007&releaseID=1083091. Accessed 8 August 2010.
- 25Phase III trial to evaluate the efficacy of maintaining hemoglobin levels above 12.0 g/dL with erythropoietin vs above 10.0 g/dL without erythropoietin in anemic patients receiving concurrent radiation and cisplatin for cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 2008; 108–325.317–325., , , et al.
- 27Randomized study of the importance of novel erythropoiesis stimulating protein (Aranesp®) for the effect of radiotherapy in patients with primary squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (HNSCC)—the Danish Head and Neck Cancer Group (DAHANCA 10). Eur J Cancer 2007; 5: 7. [Abstract.], , , et al.
- 30Department of Health and Human Services: Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee; Notice of Meeting. Fed Reg 2008; 73: 11928.
- 31Department of Health and Human Services: Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee; Notice of Meeting. Fed Reg 2007; 72: 32852–32853.
- 32Department of Health and Human Services: Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee; Notice of Meeting. Fed Reg 2004; 69: 16582–16583.
- 33Amgen Inc. Aranesp® (Darbepoetin alfa) Package Insert. Thousand Oaks, CA: Amgen Inc.; 2008.
- 45http://www.hhs.gov/bloodsafety/2005NBCUS.pdf. Accessed on 9 August 2010., . The 2005 nationwide blood collection and utilization survey report. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services. Available at:
- 47Projections of the Population by Selected Age Groups and Sex for the United States: 2010 to 2050 (NP2008-T2). Suitland, MD: U.S. Census Bureau; 2008.