Menopause as a Measure of Population Health
Menopause, local biologies, and cultures of aging
Version of Record online: 31 MAY 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Human Biology
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 494–504, July/August 2001
How to Cite
Lock, M. and Kaufert, P. (2001), Menopause, local biologies, and cultures of aging. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 13: 494–504. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.1081
- Issue online: 31 MAY 2001
- Version of Record online: 31 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 23 JUN 2000
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 1999
- 1992. Dietary phytoestrogens and the menopause in Japan. Lancet 339:1233. , , , .
- 1993. The evolution of menopausal symptoms. Bailliere's Clin Endocrinol Metab 7:17–32. , , , , .
- 1991. A longitudinal analysis of women's attitudes towards the menopause: results from the Massachusetts Women's Health Study. Maturitas 13:65–79. , .
- 1873. A clinical history of the medical and surgical diseases of women. London: J. and A. Churchill. .
- 1994. Climacteric and menopause in seven south-east Asian countries. Maturitas 19:157–176. , , , , .
- 1994. Perceptions of menopause in northeast Thailand: contested meaning and practice. Soc Sci Med 39:1545–1554. , .
- 1993. The menopausal age and climacteric complaints in Thai women in Bangkok. Maturitas 17:63–71. , , , , .
- 1897. The menopause. New York: D. Appleton and Company. ,
- 1945. The psychology of women, Vol. 2. New York: Grune and Stratton. .
- 1979. The breakdown of motherhood is wrecking our children. Jpn Echo 6:102–109. .
- 1995. Aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency as cause of facial flushing reaction to alcohol in Japanese. Alcohol Health Res World 19:48–49. .
- 1813. On the climacteric disease. In: College of Physicians in London, Medical transitions, Vol. 4. London: Longman. p 317. .
- 1985. Women at home. Jpn Echo 12:51–57. .
- International Health Foundation. 1977. La ménopause: étude effectuée en Belgique aupràs de 922 femmes entre 45 et 55 ans. Geneva: International Health Foundation.
- 1989. Sexual visions: images of gender in science and medicine between the eighteenth and twentieth centuries. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press. .
- 1988. Menopause as process or event: the creation of definitions in biomedicine. In: LockM, editor. Biomedicine examined. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. p 331–349. .
- 1992. The Manitoba Project: a re-examination of the link between menopause and depression. Maturitas 14:143–155. , , .
- 1992. Between mind and eye: Japanese anatomy in the eighteenth-century. In: LeslieC, YoungA, editors. Paths to Asian medical knowledge. Berkeley: University of California Press. p 21–43. .
- 1980. East Asian medicine in urban Japan: varieties of medical experience. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 1993. Encounters with aging: mythologies of menopause in Japan and North America. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 1988. Cultural construction of the menopausal syndrome: the Japanese case. Maturitas 10:317–332. , , .
- 1989. Why are the Japanese living longer? Br Med J 299:1547–1551. , .
- 1980. Editorial comment, Focus on the family. Jpn Echo 3:75–76. .
- 1975. Novak's textbook of gynecology. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins Company. , , .
- 1988. Population aging and medical demand: the case of Japan. In: Economic and social implications of population aging. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Population Structure and Development, Tokyo. New York: United Nations. p 254–275. .
- 1991. A comparison of hip fracture incidence among native Japanese, Japanese Americans, and American Caucasians. Am J Epidemiol 133:801–809. , , , .
- 1998. Revolutionary women at middle age: an ethnographic survey of menopause and midlife aging in Beijing, China. Doctoral dissertation. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University. .
- Sômuchô (Office of the Prime Minister). 1997. Kôrei shakai hakusho (White Paper on the Aged Society). Tokyo: Sômuchó.
- Statistical Bulletin of the Metropolitan Insurance Company. 1999. Stat Bull Metropol Ins Comp 80:13–21.
- 1991. Menopausal symptoms among Thai women in Bangkok. Maturitas 13:217–228. , , , , , .
- 1982. Jiritsu shinkei shichôshôno nazo—ishi no setsumei ni, komaru byôki no shotai (The riddle of instability of the automonic nervous system: the disease even doctors can't explain). Tokyo: Tokyo Daigaku Igakubu Ishi. .
- 1870. The change of life in health and disease: a practical treatise on the nervous and other affections incidental to women at the decline of life. London: John Churchill and Sons. .
- Van KeepPA, GreenblattPB, Albeaux-FernetM (editors). 1976. Consensus on menopause research. Lancaster: MTP Press.
- 1994. The Pieter van Keep Memorial Lecture. In: BergG, HammarM, editors. The modern management of the menopause: a perspective for the 21st century. New York: The Parthenon Publishing Group. p 1–13. .