Menopause as a Measure of Population Health
Associations with age at natural menopause in Blackfeet women
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Human Biology
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 512–520, July/August 2001
How to Cite
Johnston, S. L. (2001), Associations with age at natural menopause in Blackfeet women. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 13: 512–520. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.1083
- Issue published online: 31 MAY 2001
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 8 SEP 2000
- Manuscript Received: 15 MAR 2000
- American Lung Association Behavioral Science Dissertation Grant
- 1982. Cigarette smoking and the age at menopause. Ann Hum Biol 9:121–130. , .
- 1984. Smoking and estrogen-related disease. Am J Epidemiol 119:9–22. .
- 1983. Ages at menopause and menarche in a high-altitude Himalayan population. Ann Hum Biol 10:365–370. .
- 1989. A prospective study of factors affecting age at menopause. J Clin Epidemiol 42:1031–1039. , .
- 1996. Antenatal and birth factors and their relationships to child growth. In: HenryCJK, UlijaszekSJ, editors. Long-term consequences of early environment: growth, development, and the lifespan developmental perspective. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 69–90. .
- 1999. Active and passive smoking and the occurrence of natural menopause. Epidemiol 10:771–773. , , .
- 1998. Predictive factors of age at menopause in a large Australian twin study. Hum Biol 70:1073–1091. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Human ovarian function and reproductive ecology: new hypotheses. Am Anthropol 92:933–952. .
- 1978. Is there a secular trend in age of menopause? Maturitas 1:133–139. .
- 1997. Secular trends in menopause age. J Psychosom Obstet Gynecol 18:65–72. .
- 1978. Population, food intake, and fertility. Science 199:22–30. .
- 1970. Height and weight at menarche and a hypothesis of critical body weights and adolescent events. Science 169:397–399. , .
- 1987. Lung cancer among Chinese women. Int J Cancer 40:604–609. , , , , , , , .
- 1984. The interaction between prenatal and socioeconomic effects on growth and development in childhood. In: BormsJ, HauspieR, SandA, SusanneC, HebbelinckM, editors. Human growth and development. New York: Plenum. p 59–70. , , .
- 1992. What determines the age at the menopause?. Br Med J 302:1288–1289. .
- 1985. Biology of menopause. London: Academic Press. .
- 1976. The menopause: epidemiological and demographic considerations. In: BeardRJ, editor. The menopause: a guide to current research and practice. Lancashire, England: MTP Press. p 25–40. .
- 1997. Reliability of reported age at menopause. Am J Epidemiol 146:771–775. , , .
- 1979. Trends in breast feeding among American mothers. Vital and Health Statistics, Series 23, No. 3. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. , .
- 1979. Demography of the Dobe !Kung. New York: Academic Press. .
- 1980. An analysis of environmental variables and factors associated with growth failure in a Mexican village. Hum Biol 52:627–637. , , , , .
- 1999. Health and lifestyle change among Blackfeet women of northern Montana. Doctoral dissertation, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. .
- 1985. Nutritional status and age at secondary sterility in rural Bangladesh. J Biosoc Sci 17:497–502. , , .
- 1993. Reproductive factors and breast cancer. Epidemiol Rev 15:36–47. , , .
- 1993. Anthropological aspects of the age at menopause. Homo 44:263–277. .
- 1992. An evolutionary perspective on menopause. In: KernsV, BrownJK, editors. In her prime: new views of middle-aged women, 2nd edition. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press. p 7–15. , .
- 1996. Timing of menopause in relation to body size and weight change. Hum Biol 68:967–982. .
- 1992. Decreased birthweights in infants after maternal in utero exposure to the Dutch famine of 1944–45. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 6:240–253. .
- 1996. The normal menopause transition: an overview. Maturitas 23:137–145. .
- 1992a. The normal menopause transition. Am J Hum Biol 4:37–46. , , .
- 1992b. The normal menopause transition. Maturitas 14:103–115. , , .
- 1966. Age at menopause, United States, 1960–1962. Vital and Health Statistics, Series 11, No. 19. Washington, DC: National Center for Health Statistics, United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. , .
- 1994. Reproductive history and coronary heart disease risk in women. Epidemiol Rev 16:298–314. , , , .
- 1990. Comparative and cross-cultural approaches to the study of human female reproductive failure. In: DeRousseauCJ, editor. Primate life history and evolution. Monographs in primatology, No. 14. New York: Wiley-Liss. p 195–220. .
- 1985. Luteal phase defects and anovulation: adaptive alterations occurring with conditioning exercise. Semin Reprod Endocrinol 3:27. .
- 1995. Menopause: its epidemiology and potential association with chronic diseases. Epidemiol Rev 17:287–302. , .
- 1987. Factors influencing the age at natural menopause. J Chron Dis 40:995–1002. , , , , .
- 1999. The idiopathic forms of premature menopause and early menopause show the same genetic pattern. Hum Reprod 14:2731–2734. , , , , , , , .
- 1974. Menarche, menopause, and intervening fecundability. Hum Biol 46:89–107. .
- 1979. Factors affecting the age at menopause. J Biosoc Sci, Suppl 6:37–55. , , .
- 1997. Age at natural menopause in a population-based screening cohort: the role of menarche, fecundity, and lifestyle factors. Fertil Steril 68:95–102. , , , , .
- 1997. Flexibility and paradox: the nature of adaptation in human reproduction. In: MorbeckME, GallowayA, ZihlmannAL, editors. The evolving female: a life-history perspective. Princeton: Princeton University Press. p 242–258. .
- 1977. Early stress and later reproductive performance under conditions of malnutrition and high altitude hypoxia. Med Anthropol 1:25–54. , .
- 1990. Menstrual and reproductive characteristics and age at natural menopause. Am J Epidemiol 131:625–632. , , , .
- 1994. Dynamics of human reproduction: biology, biometry, demography. New York: Aldine de Gruyter. .
- World Fertility Survey. 1975. Basic documentation: core questionnaires. The Hague: International Statistical Institute.